Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Liberal atmosphere?

GreenDayFanGreenDayFan Registered User Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
edited September 2005 in Emory University
Hi. I do not know much about Emory. I know it is in Atlanta and I am looking for a liberal college atmosphere. Does the student body tent to lean to the left or right? Also, anything else you could tell me about Emory would be helpful. As of now, I am also interested in Brown, Bard, Macalester, AMherst College, And some others.Thanx
Post edited by GreenDayFan on

Replies to: Liberal atmosphere?

• fut18000fut18000 Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    I don't really know much about the politics at emory but I'd assume it would be pretty mixed. Although Atlanta is somewhat liberal, the areas surrounding the city are ultr-conservative (I live here!). I know that emory accepts alot of people from Georgia and the south in general so there should be a good mix in the political atmosphere
  • drummerdude_07drummerdude_07 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    Green Day, the colleges you listed are almost Marxist in their liberalism, so I would assume that Emory isn't like that. But then there aren't really any top colleges that you could reasonably say lean to the right. Top colleges just hate conservatives too much.
  • copper45copper45 Registered User Posts: 182 Junior Member
    Emory has its share of both. As a liberal going into Emory, I got really frustrated with the conservatives, because I'm from CT and we don't have many of those.
  • drummerdude_07drummerdude_07 Registered User Posts: 1,345 Senior Member
    That's funny copper. I, as a conservative, was worried aobut uber-liberal colleges. But now I have read a Dinesh D'Souza book about his group of conservatives rebelling against the administration at Dartmouth, and it sounds like a lot of fun. So to the OP, it may help you as a liberal to learn to defend yourself against a conservative group, or it might even change your mind, but that is rare either way.
  • CassiodorusCassiodorus Registered User Posts: 256 Junior Member
    It's rather liberal in my sight. Then again, I'm considered a moderate by most people, but in the town I'm from, I'm consider to be to left of Marx.
  • cookiemonstercookiemonster Registered User Posts: 134 Junior Member
    it's liberal.
    you shoulda seen campus after the election. it made me laugh. i'm an evil conservative.
  • GreenDayFanGreenDayFan Registered User Posts: 3,928 Senior Member
    yes conservatives are evil lol
  • runningncircles1runningncircles1 Registered User Posts: 1,856 Senior Member
    LOL, Fut, where do you live? I live in Cobb. Here, evolution is a theory, not a fact. And, we casted stones at this one girl for witchcraft... she was showing us "electricity". It was the DEVIL! And, the school board ("Elders" as I like to call them) fired a teacher for tainting the students' minds with talk about "gravity". HA! What's "gravity"? There is no such thing.

Sorry, I love making fun of my district for doing that. Surprizingly, though, we have the best test scores and schools in the state. It couldn't have ANYTHING to do with all the money floating around in the county.
This discussion has been closed.