Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

General Chemistry "pretest"?

2»

Replies to: General Chemistry "pretest"?

• CrispRealizationCrispRealization Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Matt,
    Here's what was in the Emory e-mail:

"If you plan to take General Chemistry (CHEM 141) at Emory--either because you plan to major in the natural sciences, plan to complete the pre-med requirements, or just have an interest in Chemistry--you should complete the General Chemistry Placement Assessment on Blackboard by Thursday, June 10, 2010."
  • bernie2012bernie2012 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    That's funny, they seemed to never force people to do it at a certain date before.
  • collegestu816collegestu816 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    I doubt the test is even really required, since the OPUS system where you register for classes does not require a permission number or any prerequisite class to enroll in Chem 141, and the chem professors never actually check to make sure you've taken the test. It's really there just for you to assess yourself, and even if a minimum score were required to allow enrollment in the class and you were only concerned about getting placed in it (which seems to be the case for the OP), it wouldn't be hard to cheat on test.
  • alam1alam1 Registered User Posts: 1,065 Senior Member
    Will profs know what students get on the test? It's summer already and I may have forgotten a lot of chem that I should remember. I'm assuming this doesn't count towards our grades but will profs get to know the marks?

EDIT: btw, is it multiple choice? Is it marked immediately?
  • bernie2012bernie2012 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    Your prof. won't care either way. And no, it in no way is involved in your grade.
2»
This discussion has been closed.