Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Class Schedule

2»

Replies to: Class Schedule

• collegestu816collegestu816 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    Not exactly a lottery. Among the freshmen, the Emory Scholars get the earliest registration times, and everyone else is ranked by the number of incoming transfer credit hours (such as from AP exams or credit from college courses taken in hs); those with more hrs get the earlier times. Keep in mind that all the rising sophs, juniors, and seniors have already registered so many of the upper level classes are already full or nearly full at this point.
  • IndeEdISuperIndeEdISuper Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Is there a place where I can see which AP credits Emory accepts or do we send in all the scores for the AP tests that we wrote down on the common application?
  • collegestu816collegestu816 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    If you put down Emory as the school to receive your scores when you took your AP exams in May, they should receive scores for all the exams you've ever taken. If not, you'll have to call up CollegeBoard and pay a fee to send all of them.

Emory gives 4 hrs of credit in an equivalent 100 level class (aka a semester's worth of class) for a 4 or 5 on all currently administered AP exams except for Human Geography which gets no credit, and Calculus BC which gets 8 hrs of credit. There are some limitations though, like you can't get credit for two exams in the same foreign language or in AP English, and total AP credit is capped at 32 hrs (if you have more you can must decline some of them, although you can still those you declined to place into a higher level class). Also, Emory does not have a class they consider to be equivalent to AP USH, Euro, and World Hist., so if you have credit in one or more of those they will just give you "elective" credit that doesn't count toward a General Education Requirement.
  • IndeEdISuperIndeEdISuper Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
    Alright thanks! What if you got a 4 or 5 on a physics exam but still want to take the introductory class...can I do that? I feel my physics isn't as solid as I wanted it to be, and want to build a better foundation.
  • bernie2012bernie2012 Registered User Posts: 614 Member
    You can, but there is the possibility that the class will not be difficult or challenging at all if it's anything like it was last year. You may end up disappointed, and realized that you've wasted time. However, Rasnik is not teaching it so it may be more interesting and challenging.
  • jhall557jhall557 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    so on opus it says all the 200-level math classes have 0 seats left (i got finished calc bc w/ a 5)...but i'm majoring in math so i really should be in a math class 1st semester. will they let me into one of those classes? (preferably 211 since its required for my major)
  • dgeblldgebll Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    Someone may drop a class during add/drop/swap or spaces may be saved for freshmen that will open up during registration. But more likely, the onus will be on you the student to email professors and begin asking them to overload you in those classes. I never really had trouble adding into classes that I needed.

You might also consider just getting finished with GERs during your first semester if no math classes are open. In college, it's not necessary (nor possible, in many cases) to take classes in your major every semester. Some semesters may have 3 or 4 classes in your major and others may have none, depending on course offerings and other scheduling constraints.
  • jhall557jhall557 Registered User Posts: 59 Junior Member
    ok, thanks for the advice! worst comes to worst i will just focus on completing gers, i just didn't want to jump back into tough math classes after not taking one since the ap calc test in may haha.
2»
This discussion has been closed.