Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Please Chance Me!

senior1011senior1011 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
edited August 2010 in Emory University
please chance me!!

*] College - Emory pre law but hoping to apply to business school after sophomore year
[ *] SAT: 2130 630CR 760M 740W
[ *] SAT IIs (if sent):
[ *] ACT: 31 (but 33 if you are looking at my subscores from the 3 times i took it)
[ *] emory GPA: no idea how to calculate this... i have a 3.91 at my school but i think my emory GPA would be around 3.7-3.8. not exactly sure. i have a lot of 89s!
[ *] Rank: school doesnt rank
[ *] Other stats:
[ *] Subjective (ECs, special circumstances, etc):
anchor for school news station
9 years of chorus, we performed at carnegie hall in nyc!
varsity rowing from 9th-12th grade, possibly could be captain
member of drama club and hessed forum
crew takes up so much time so i dont have much else...

[ *] Essays: i think what i have so far are really good
[ *] Teacher Recs: no idea, i think really good
[ *] Counselor Rec: probably good
[ *] Hook (legacy, recruited athlete, etc.): nothing really
[ *) Location/Person:
[ *] State or Country: FL
[ *] School Type: Private, one of the best private schools in the country
[ *] Ethnicity: white
[ *] Gender: male
[ *] major strength/weakness:
weakness: GPA
strength: ACT?
[ *] Other Factors/questions:
i went to the 2 week emory pre-college program and my professor is writing me a recommendation!
Post edited by senior1011 on

Replies to: Please Chance Me!

• collegestu816collegestu816 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    Overall I'd say you're a match for Emory. You have a high chance of getting i if you show interest in a variety of ways, such as writing a captivating "Why Emory?" essay, visiting (which you have already one), and doing ED I. Also, what was the overall rigor of your hs courseload (lots of APs? or mostly fluff classes?). Note that for the ACT you can't superscore since the score sending system only allows you to send one test date at a time, so it would be counted as 31, which is right in the middle of emory's mid 50% range of 29-33. Good luck w/ your application.
  • senior1011senior1011 Registered User Posts: 8 New Member
    I am taking 5 APs this year, and got a 4 on the Calc AB exam last year... I have taken a few honors classes too.
    I have also showed a lot of interest: visiting twice, taking a tour, going to their pre college program, ordering the dvd, talking to them during information sessions, college fairs, knowing a lot of alumni and some staff and professors... i'm also looking into the emory scholars program.
  • collegestu816collegestu816 Registered User Posts: 238 Junior Member
    In that case I'd say you're in if you continue to show interest and keep up your grades. As for Emory Scholars it's still a stretch with your stats (most of them have 3.9+ and 2200+/33+) and while you do have some good ECs, none of them really stand out at this point, but then again it's hard for almost anyone to become a Scholar.
    i might have gotten the name wrong... im referring to the financial aid program that lets high school choose which students deserve it.
This discussion has been closed.