Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Jewish Life / Religious Diversity

mzyaelmzyael Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited August 2010 in Emory University
How is the religious diversity at Emory? How is the Jewish community? I'm a current high school senior. I attended a Jewish day school for middle school and am currently active in my USY chapter. I wouldn't call myself religiously observant, but I have been to Israel three times and plan on taking a gap year in Israel. If anyone has any information on the Hillel, Jewish life for non-observant Jews, or attitudes towards Israel on campus, that would be great. Thanks!
Post edited by mzyael on

Replies to: Jewish Life / Religious Diversity

• dgeblldgebll Registered User Posts: 478 Member
    Jewish life is very active. There's a brand new Hillel house and a Chabad (sp?) house. There are a ton of Jews at Emory from a range of backgrounds (many wealthy from the NE, though) and degrees of observance. Although some think Emory students are politically apathetic (though I don't), when it comes to Israel, there are many vocal students and professors on both sides. Many of the Jews think Israel can do no wrong and most of the pro-Palestinians think Israel can do nothing right. I suspect that, on average, Emory students tend to lean towards supporting Israel, but there's certainly a vocal opposition. It's usually healthy debate about the subject, and many authorities on the topic teach in the College.

I'm not Jewish, fyi, but I, like everyone at Emory, know many Jewish students that run the spectrum.
  • mzyaelmzyael Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
    I knew Emory had a large Jewish population but I wasn't sure about the level of involvement. It's still one of my top choices! Thanks!
  • Colleges00701Colleges00701 - Posts: 1,790 Senior Member
    Emory is 30 percent Jewish, so your bound to find some people who are really active in Emory's Jewish life.
  • MattLeinartFanMattLeinartFan Registered User Posts: 185 Junior Member
    Emory Jews are very involved. I've already met a bunch of kids who were presidents/very involved in their USY chapters.
This discussion has been closed.