Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

PE for non-CivE

RacinReaverRacinReaver Registered User Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
edited November 2010 in Engineering Majors
As some of you may know, my girlfriend is on track to try and get her PE at some point in the future. I figured, as a way to help make it easier for her to study, I might try to take the PE in my own field. I did my undergrad in Materials, and I'm doing my PhD in Materials as well, so it would definitely be the field I'd be trying to get my PE in.

Does anyone know anyone with a PE outside of the "common" fields to get a PE in, and do they know if it's been useful at all for their career?
Post edited by RacinReaver on

Replies to: PE for non-CivE

• aibarraibarr Registered User Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    Yeah, I have a friend who works as a chemical engineer. He works for Big Oil and got his PE as his wife, a civil engineer, got hers. They synchronized their study schedules.

It's been pretty useful. He's gotten a few more opportunities, and it's definitely a consideration in promotion towards management... In a lot of states, you have to have a certain number of PEs on your board of directors in order to call yourself an engineering company.
This discussion has been closed.