Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Aerospace Engineering

TomarasTomaras Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Engineering Majors
Hi, I am very interested in the Aerospace field and am wondering where I would place in terms of what colleges I should be looking into and be a match for.

9th Grade 7B's 5 A's ... 3 Honors Classes
10th Grade 6B's 6 A's ... 3 Honors 1 Ap Classes
11th Grade 1 B 5 A's (in the first semester) ... 2 honors 2 Ap Classes
12th Grade ... 2 Ap Classes

Top 10% of the class... should be top 7% or so by the time I apply (at a competitive highschool, ranked around 20 in the state)

As of now (end of 1st semested of 11th grade) Unweighted GPA of 3.544 and Weighted of 4.182.

ACT --- (will be taking again and am aiming for 32-33)
- 29 English
- 32 Math
- 34 Reading
- 29 Science
--- 31 Composite

PSAT
PSAT
80 Math
63 CR
53 WS (OUCH)
= 196 total

Some Good EC's but this I wont waste your time with any of that.

So my question is with my grades and course-load/scores as is, what colleges should I be looking into for this field? Will I be completely unprepared for the coursework?
Post edited by Tomaras on

Replies to: Aerospace Engineering

• bellyflop55bellyflop55 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    Those are very impressive stats especially if you can up your ACT a couple points you should have little trouble getting into a good aero school like GA Tech or Purdue. As for now make sure you get a calculus class preferably AP calc BC and an advanced physics class (AP if available). Chem wouldn't hurt either. You shouldn't be too unprepared because freshman year is calc and physics 1 so you would have an advantage over those who didn't take those class in HS.
  • TomarasTomaras Registered User Posts: 78 Junior Member
    ^^^ Thanks, Yeah I am taking AP Calc BC and AP Physics as well as Engineering Physics next year. Thank you for the feedback
  • FoColoFoColo Registered User Posts: 85 Junior Member
    Check out Iowa State. With a 33 ACT, my son recieved merit aid making it a much cheaper option than our state flagship, Univ of Colorado. But he has chosen Boulder over Ames.
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,299 Senior Member
    I also recommend Iowa State for aerospace engineering, but be forewarned...it's a very rigorous program. Attrition rate is fairly high.
This discussion has been closed.