Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Is this normal or should I be skeptical

2»

Replies to: Is this normal or should I be skeptical

• iambored10iambored10 Registered User Posts: 1,573 Senior Member
    Yes that is what I meant. I know top companies such as Merck and Shell (companies that my classmates have had internships with out of state) provide their interns with housing. I'm just kind of still confused as to why such a "Fortune 17" company doesn't provide any incentive or assistance to its interns and potential employees.
  • ken285ken285 Registered User Posts: 3,931 Senior Member
    I don't know what kind of financial situation the company is in. Maybe they don't really have plans on hiring additional people (for full-time positions) in the near future and don't feel it's a wise investment at this point in time.

I'm sure they have their reasons. They're not dumb.
  • anxiousmomanxiousmom Registered User Posts: 5,790 Senior Member
    The time to ask that is if you are offered the position. Stick to what you can do for them!
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,270 Senior Member
    Their refusal to cover certain costs may simply reflect the supply of interns and the perceived importance of internal training over initial state. If they have a ton of intern applicants willing to jump through hoops to get the job, why cover airfare? And if they honestly think that the quality of applicants who will ignore the downsides is sufficient to their needs, why cover housing?
  • gthopefulgthopeful Registered User Posts: 1,828 Senior Member
    You may get the internship, but it doesn't sound like they're very interested in keeping you long-term for sure as many other companies do with their interns (Intel, for example, states they aim to convert at least 50% of their interns into full-time employees).
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,105 Senior Member
    From a company perspective, an internship is kind of like a "try/rent before you buy" type of thing with respect to a student, as well as a way of marketing the company to the student in hope that the student will be interested in working there after graduation.

It does not seem like the company in question is trying to make itself attractive to you now, much less for after graduation.
2»
This discussion has been closed.