Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What am I getting myself into?

pfips123pfips123 Registered User Posts: 333 Junior Member
edited March 2011 in Engineering Majors
I plan on majoring in biomedical engineering and I know that I really want to do this. I've heard that BME majors have almost no life though. how true is this? Would doubling with neuroscience be unmanageable?
Post edited by pfips123 on

Replies to: What am I getting myself into?

• bl4ke360bl4ke360 Registered User Posts: 712 Member
    I've heard it's almost impossible to find a job as a BME major after you graduate, most people get a masters and still have problems finding a job. Location plays a part in this too.
  • pfips123pfips123 Registered User Posts: 333 Junior Member
    Really, I've always that it's one of the more high demand careers.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Registered User Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    ^ It is projected to grow the fastest. Two caveats with that stat:
    a) you may need a grad degree to take part in that growth
    b) employment growth stats don't always account for corresponding job seeker growth - so there may be more jobs but also proportionately greater competition
  • BEngineerBEngineer Registered User Posts: 201 Junior Member
    Couldn't agree more. I thought that biomedical industry would be good too ( hence the minor in biomedical) but it turns out that the jobs are only for masters or higher and even then it's not that great.

One of the many reasons ( and there will be a course in your biomed 4th year) is that this industry is heavily regulated.

It is so regulated that not many companies are willing to explore it and hence there are little jobs there...
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,213 Senior Member
    Also, with bio-anything, you'll have to compete with an increased supply of graduates from pre-meds who thought that they needed to major in bio-something to do pre-med, but did not get into medical school.

Probably better to go into a more traditional type of engineering like chemical, electrical, or mechanical, and take bioengineering courses for technical and free electives if that interests you (though take enough other courses that you can work in the non-bio part of your major).
  • pfips123pfips123 Registered User Posts: 333 Junior Member
    Thanks for all the information. I was wondering more about the courseload itself though... if you have any information on that.
This discussion has been closed.