Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Future computer science student

Thrillofit13Thrillofit13 Registered User Posts: 13 New Member
edited March 2011 in Engineering Majors
Hey everyone I'll be a compuer science student this coming fall at either Michigan state or Michigan, I have a few things I am wondering about.

I am very outgoing and social, I'm sure I could keep this balance but ive heard that CS majors are very introverted.

Also I'm wondering what the main focuses of the major are and what a good minor would be to pair it with.

Replies to: Future computer science student

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,076 Senior Member
    Extroversion/introversion are personality traits that need not prevent you from doing a CS major.

A CS major typically requires a lot of computer programming as well as the ability to think mathematically. If you go into industry software development jobs, you'll want to take the courses in algorithms / complexity, software engineering, operating systems, and networks, as these concepts are used very commonly.

With respect to minors or other course work, consider the following:

a. If there is a specific field of application of computers that you are interested in (e.g. art / media, economics / finance, language / literature / linguistics, biology / bioinformatics, etc.), course work in that area may be helpful.

b. Some extra courses in math, statistics, economics, and finance can lead to additional job and career possibilities in the quantitative areas of finance.
This discussion has been closed.