Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which school should I go to ?

dnguyen631dnguyen631 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
edited June 2011 in Engineering Majors
Right now, I am a community college student in California. I major in Computer Science, and would like to pursuit a MS degree in Computer Science in the future. I want to a school that is more practical than theoretical in Computer Science, and my plan is to transfer to either Cal Poly Pomona or University of California Irvine. I also want to have a high chance to get a job after graduating. Can someone recommend me which school I should go to ? and please answer why ? Thanks so much in advance.
Post edited by dnguyen631 on

Replies to: Which school should I go to ?

• nothing4menothing4me Registered User Posts: 653 Member
    Since you're in California, you have a better (and cheaper) chance of attending schools like Stanford University and University of California - Berkeley. There is also California Institute of Technology. All of them have good Computer Science departments, especially at the graduate level.
  • SeattleBulldogSeattleBulldog Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    ^^^^ yah, it would be nice to go to Stanford or UC Berkley, but Stanford would leave you in major Student loan debt, and the chances of both Stanford and UC Berkley accepting a community college student is unlikely. In my opinion I would go to UC Irvine, because its one of the UC schools and low tuition price. Have you looked into CalPoly SLO?
  • dnguyen631dnguyen631 Registered User Posts: 4 New Member
    Thanks for all previous answers.
    @SeattleBulldog: I did some researches about Cal Poly SLO, and it turns out that it is harder to get into on Computer Science major when comparing to Cal Poly Pomona. Beside the low tuition price, is there any reason for me to go to UC Irvine ?
    @nothing4me: I don't think I have a chance to get into UC Berkeley or Stanford University because after 2 years at community college, I think my GPA will around 3.4 -> 3.5.
  • SeattleBulldogSeattleBulldog Registered User Posts: 1,152 Senior Member
    UC Irvine ranks # 28 in US News best graduate computer science programs. Cal Poly Pomona didn't even make the list. In the long run, employers would be more likely to accept you, if you went to UC Irvine.
  • davidthefatdavidthefat Registered User Posts: 1,521 Senior Member
    Blizzard is located in Irvine... Just saying.
  • JapherJapher Registered User Posts: 1,349 Senior Member
    "Just sayin" is our engineering department motto... js
This discussion has been closed.