Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

any advantage of going to illilnois over virginia tech or penn state for engineering

2»

Replies to: any advantage of going to illilnois over virginia tech or penn state for engineering

• GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Registered User Posts: 2,892 Senior Member
    I don't know guys... I sleep a lot easier being a rabid NittanyLionBulldog (of the Handsome Dan variety) because they rarely cross paths. Which side do you route for?

Well for me, U-Wisconsin was mostly done online and as a grad student so I am much more attached to Michigan State because I actually lived there, got drunk there, slept there, etc. I cheer for U-Wisconsin when MSU is not the opponent.
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,271 Senior Member
    Likewise - when Illinois plays Penn State, I root for PSU all the way!
  • hokie11hokie11 Registered User Posts: 57 Junior Member
    rankings are for people who know little about a college. I wouldn't rely on them too much; it's how you utilize what you are taught and the way you can apply that knowledge is the most important.

I'll be attending vt this fall as a freshman engineering student. and personally, i have a feeling I'm going to like it there. the campus is SO FREAKING GORGEOUS. and the eng program is pretty challenging.

hope you attend where you truly want to attend and not a place that a ranking system told you to go.
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,271 Senior Member
    Rankings are fine to get you into a ballpark, give you an idea of what schools to look at, but should never be a deciding factor. Most people find that certain schools "click" with them better, and you will do best at those schools, regardless of their ranking.
  • KALEJIBAZKALEJIBAZ - Posts: 8 New Member
    I would recommend Illinois for its engineering programs, whereas PSU is not 'strong' in engineering of any jind, except Biomedical which is a fusion of biology, organic chemistry and basic chemical engineering while emphasizing soft engineering with physiology, mostly!
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,393 Forum Champion
    PSU is plenty "strong" in engineering. I run into good people and research coming from PSU all the time. It doesn't have the same brand power as Illinois, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have a quality program.
  • UncannyCrayonUncannyCrayon Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Most, if not all Big 10 schools have quality programs.
    UIUC, Purdue, Michigan, though, have EXCELLENT programs.

It depends on what you want out of your degree. If you want to do cutting edge research, you are hurting yourself going to a lower ranked school. Those rankings are mostly based on research.

If you want a job as an engineer, the "brand power" is an effect that is certainly felt as UIUC sees a ton of recruiters on campus every year, but you will by no means be unemployed because you went to PSU instead of UIUC.

If you want to do engineering because of personal interests, or you want to go to medical or law school, it probably won't matter where you go.
2»
This discussion has been closed.