Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

any advantage of going to illilnois over virginia tech or penn state for engineering

gribbin26gribbin26 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
edited June 2011 in Engineering Majors
Is there really any significant advantage of going to illinois for civil engineering over psu or virginia tech? in terms of getting a job, getting a higher salary or anything like that?
Post edited by gribbin26 on

Replies to: any advantage of going to illilnois over virginia tech or penn state for engineering

• boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,407 Forum Champion
    The advantage would be fairly minute, as all those schools are very good. Is there any reason you don't want to go to Illinois?
  • gribbin26gribbin26 Registered User Posts: 55 Junior Member
    no i was just wandering since it is constantly ranked 1 and 2 for civil engineering while psu and vt are more around 10-20 so i didnt know if it was that much of a difference.
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,273 Senior Member
    It won't make a difference for 95% of students, but for a few it will be a slight edge that gets them that better job or into that better grad school. Okay, mostly the grad school thing - employers probably won't care that much.
  • BigAarstBigAarst Registered User Posts: 101 Junior Member
    Of course... if you go to Illinois, you'll get to study all the time (wouldn't that be great!). If you go to Penn State, you'll spend four years partying your rear end off, chasing hot girls, and probably still end up with the same job. It's a no-brainer.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,407 Forum Champion
    BigAarst, that just demonstrates how little you know about Illinois.
    I might have been exaggerating, but you really think Illinois has anything on Penn State when it comes to partying? And when it comes to football, Illinois is the prom queen of the Big 10.
  • UncannyCrayonUncannyCrayon Registered User Posts: 212 Junior Member
    Saturday, October 9th, 2010.

University of Illinois Fighting Illini, 33.

Penn State Ninny Kats, 13.

In Penn State, by the way.
    I did undergrad at PSU, grad at UIUC - you can party at both schools. Although I should say that if your primary interest in college is partying, then you might as well choose PSU - the easier courses will not distract from your partying as much.
  • Yakyu SpiritsYakyu Spirits Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    If you got into VTech and Illinois for engineering, there is really no reason to consider Penn State.
    The big dog throws them a bone one time... Illinois will be celebrating that win over Penn State for the next ten years. I was wondering why you weren't considering Michigan for engineering, but then I realized Michigan hasn't beat Penn State at football since 2007!
    If you got into VTech and Illinois for engineering, there is really no reason to consider Penn State.
    There could be LOTS of reasons, including different tuition rates and the simple fact that different people will prefer and do better at different schools.
    Cosmicfish, what kind of a Benedict Arnold goes to another Big 10 school for grad school? :) I question your loyalties.
    Well, for my particular area of interest many of the best schools happen to be in the Big 10, and for a variety of reasons (many of them logistical, not academic) UIUC happened to be the best choice for me. At least I didn't go to Ohio State!
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Registered User Posts: 2,892 Senior Member
    Cosmicfish, what kind of a Benedict Arnold goes to another Big 10 school for grad school? I question your loyalties.

Ummm....what is wrong with that?

***the SpartanBadger***
    I don't know guys... I sleep a lot easier being a rabid NittanyLionBulldog (of the Handsome Dan variety) because they rarely cross paths. Which side do you route for?
This discussion has been closed.