Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Aerospace Engineering? Where? (And a few other questions)

13»

Replies to: Aerospace Engineering? Where? (And a few other questions)

• boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,393 Forum Champion
    I am not trying to say that your son is dooming himself by going there. Apologies if I came off that way. It is just known for its football program, not its engineering program. I also don't see a ton of research papers coming out of there at AIAA meetings or in Journals.
  • Meesh6036Meesh6036 Registered User Posts: 126 Junior Member
    I'd say give U Michigan a better look. If I had a choice on schools that is the one I would pick.

I'm going to U Washington because it's a good school with a wind tunnel, and local. However, it's way too big for your preferences.
    You realize Michigan is also huge, right? Like 40k.
  • HawkwingsHawkwings Registered User Posts: 1,207 Senior Member
    Having a wind tunnel isn't anything special. We have a couple, including the old NASA Dryden wind tunnel.

And yes, I would be suspicious of a program that gives you so much money just for being an engineering major. If they give you money for great grades or test scores, sure. But any old engineering major? Plus a stipend on top of that? Those are red flags right there.
  • swimtigerswimtiger Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    If you want a small school, you should check into Rose Hulman... small, engineering-only school of mostly undergrad students with phenomenal education (#1 in the country for a school of its kind). It may be expensive, though, but definitely worth a visit. It is in southern Indiana near Terre Haute, and has less than, I think, 2000 students total.

I'd see if you could stop by on your way to Purdue.
    The OP said he didn't want an engineering-only school if I remember correctly.
  • fauxmavenfauxmaven Registered User Posts: 1,794 Senior Member
    How about Case Western in Ohio ? My son received 17k merit aid to start .Only 17 students came there from NJ .He is a junior ,and VERY happy . He is in a co-op now ,taking a class on jet engines . He sent me a great photo ,sitting on a jet engine ,riding it like a horse .
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,299 Senior Member
    Hawkings and Boneh3ad's comments about engineering at Alabama-Tuscaloosa got me thinking because Lake Jr. intends to apply to UA aerospace engineering, in addition to other programs.

It is well known on collegeconfidential that UA is handing out a lot of financial aid grants to attract out-of-state students and high achievers. In and of itself, clearly that's not a detriment. But I do agree that non-residents should evaluate UA's academics with great scrutiny. UA is trying to reach up to the level of UTexas-Austin and probably some of the Big Ten schools. It wants to have academic distinction and a great student-life environment, i.e. football etc. Only a few schools pull if off really well. In this regard I think UA-Tuscaloosa is better than UA Huntsville and Auburn.
  • loladasremixloladasremix Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Hey guys, i'm finishing high school next year, in Portugal, i was thinking about applying for a scholarship to study Aerospace engineering in U.S.A, my grades are really good, but i don't think i could get into M.I.T, it's way too difficult, but anyway, how hard would it be to get into one of the top universities, anyone has an idea?
  • PorphyriaPorphyria Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    A friend of mine turned down MIT for Embry-Riddle. I don't know much about it, but it is supposed to be the best college for ae that does not offer a PhD in the field. It is tiny from what I know and it has a FL campus. Look into it!

Sent from my ADR6300 using CC App
  • loladasremixloladasremix Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    I wouldn't turn down MIT for any other university, studying at MIT has always been my dream.

Oh, and, the steoreotype that movies created about MIT students is it true in any way?

Do i need to be a genius in order to be accepted there?

(I'm sorry my english is not perfect)
    I have been less than impressed with most of the Embry-Riddle guys I have come across to be honest. It also ONLY does aviation-related majors, which is kind of a disadvantage in my view because you don't get that diverse group of people that most people like.
  • PorphyriaPorphyria Registered User Posts: 45 Junior Member
    I honestly would not have done what my friend did, but wondered if the validity of his choice meant anything to the OP. I was not impressed with ER myself.
  • fiddlerkrtfiddlerkrt Registered User Posts: 17 New Member
    Hi devilbird:

I am currently an undergraduate student at the University of Maryland, College Park, a school that I think would be of major interest to you. Based on your scores, I think you stand a very good chance at getting admitted.

There are a lot of wind tunnel opportunities both on and off campus. There is the Glenn L. Martin wind tunnel on campus, which is absolutely enormous and they frequently offer both internships and co-ops. There is also Tunnel 9 in the area, which has a wind tunnel capable of producing speeds at Mach 10 I believe (I got a tour there once). They always offer internships to our students. College Park is also close to NASA Goddard, and I know a few people who worked there. There are also plenty of positions in research labs on campus if you are interested in that.

The only drawback is size of campus. It is a pretty big school, but it is relatively 'compact'. If you want to get away from campus, you can always hop on the Metro to DC for a Saturday (very easy to do).
  • 1moremom1moremom Registered User Posts: 3,958 Senior Member
    Just tossing this out there-

"Aviation Week's highly regarded Workforce Study, the industry's official report and a mainstay for A&D planning and trend analysis since 1997, identifies trends in technological challenges, leadership, demographics and compensation, and ranks the top universities for A&D recruitment, with Penn State at the top for engineering schools . . ."

31,800 Jobs Added by Aerospace and Defense Companies This Year, But Declines... -- NEW YORK, Aug. 22, 2011 /PRNewswire/ --
13»
This discussion has been closed.