Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

The 3.0 w/ EC's vs 4.0 with no ECs spiel, bs or not?

pyroknifepyroknife . Posts: 259 Junior Member
edited October 2011 in Engineering Majors
I always hear people saying "oh an employer would definitely higher a 3.0 who was involved with extracurriculars rather than a 4.0 with no EC's" that it's become quite annoying. EC's are great and all, but it sounds like a load of bull to me. I am involved in a couple clubs, but can you honestly say that a 3.0 will be chosen over a 4.0? What if the 3.0 was someone incompetent and just joined a bunch of clubs to make themselves look good? It seems the gpa would be a better indicator in this case.
Post edited by pyroknife on

Replies to: The 3.0 w/ EC's vs 4.0 with no ECs spiel, bs or not?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 68,555 Senior Member
    Depends on what the ECs are. Do you mean something like:

* Summer or co-op job or internship.
    * Job relevant to your major while in school.
    * Research in your major.
    * Writing a useful and well known open source free software program.
    * Engineering competition like the concrete canoe or solar car challenge, or math/science competition like Putnam.

Or stuff like campus clubs, fraternities and sororities, intramural sports, etc.?
  • pyroknifepyroknife . Posts: 259 Junior Member
    I can't be 100% sure on this, but it seems like they're emphasizing membership in organizations/clubs. Extracurriculars imo, similar to pre college, refers to clubs&sports. Other type of activities are referred to as something else, I can't think of it on the top of my head right now, perhaps work experience.
  • youknowme123youknowme123 Registered User Posts: 144 Junior Member
    I'm sure an employer can tell if somebody just joined something just because. If a recruiter doesn't know what meaningful ECs look like he needs another job. On top of that, to assume somebody that graduated with a 3.0 would be incompetent is a little extreme and borderline foolish. Engineering isn't as numbers driven as other professions.
  • aegrisomniaaegrisomnia Registered User Posts: 1,026 Senior Member
    IMO, it definitely depends on what the ECs are. Depending on the EC and the job, I could definitely see it tipping the scales in favor of the 3.0, especially if performance at the interview(s) is similar.
  • brutallyhonestbrutallyhonest Registered User Posts: 95 Junior Member
    First of all, employers are not going to "higher" (sic) anybody. They hire people.

For me, it is all about relevance. I have hired (and will continue to hire) candidates with less GPA from (supposedly) lower ranked schools because they had relevant ECs and work experience... And it worked out very well for me.

These days, it is all about the ability to work with people and teams. Someone with a 4.0 but no activities whatsoever may come off as a loner, not wanting or able to work with people. Again, I'm talking about employment in industry in general and not research-oriented areas.
This discussion has been closed.