Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Introducing a New Expert Content Section: Careers!

Better Engineering School

2»

Replies to: Better Engineering School

• Burgsoccer09Burgsoccer09 Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    ^^exactly what I said. OSU is more concerned about "geographical diversity" while UF is concerned about getting the best and brightest.

Edit: LOL the GPAs are nowhere close. UF 2011 freshman class had an average weighted GPA of 4.2, whereas OSU had a weighted GPA of 3.84. Not even close if u ask me

Go Gators!
  • sjonesd3sjonesd3 Registered User Posts: 23 New Member
    Also what type of materials should I look at, and read. To prepare me educationally before I start school.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,909 Senior Member
    You should have a strong background in all of the math through trigonometry and precalculus, so that you are ready for calculus. Having had calculus (AP or community college) is a bonus, and could let you take more advanced math courses (effectively giving you free elective space in your schedule), but is not generally required.

Having had high school physics and chemistry as background for university level physics and chemistry (if required for your major) is highly desirable.

Of course, good writing skills are important for all students.
  • SportsMamaSportsMama Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    "^^exactly what I said. OSU is more concerned about 'geographical diversity'while UF is concerned about getting the best and brightest."

This could be true. I just see that the ACT and SAT scores are nearly identical.

"LOL the GPAs are nowhere close. UF 2011 freshman class had an average weighted GPA of 4.2, whereas OSU had a weighted GPA of 3.84. Not even close if u ask me."

GPA's are not standardized, so I find it more fair to compare the ACT and SAT. Not trying to start a fight, just giving my opinion.

I notice you didn't say anything about the job expo, which you said was probably the most important reason to choose UF over OSU.

FWIW, the OP should visit both schools since he/she has family in both places. Maybe neither one of them will be a good fit. Who knows? Glad you are happy with your experience at UF. What year are you in? My daughter loves OSU and is happy with her choice. She will graduate in June.
  • SportsMamaSportsMama Registered User Posts: 776 Member
    I agree with ucbalumnus. Take calculus, physics, and chemistry in high school, and take the highest level they offer. I also agree that writing skills are important, too. Just because you are an engineer doesn't mean you won't need to write reports. You will!
  • Burgsoccer09Burgsoccer09 Registered User Posts: 324 Member
    In all fairness, I do have a bias against Ohio State. I hate them with a passion lol. They never did me wrong, I just don't like em for some reason. It seems like it is all football and no academics, at least thats what my brother told me when he visited during the prime of football season. Thats why I am very passionate against OSU, i grew up and it was the only 3 letters I ever heard

It would be interesting to compare the job expo at OSU with the CareerFair at UF. The career Fair is so large it spans out over an entire week with the companies holding tons of info sessions and doing resume critiques. Its like the campus is transformed from a party school to a business for one week out of the entire semester haha.
    Sorry for the confusion I meant prepare since I am out of high school. Like in between now and starting community college.
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 69,909 Senior Member
    If you have not successfully taken a calculus course, try the placement test here:
    Choosing the First Math Course at UC Berkeley - UC Berkeley Department of Mathematics

If you don't get green on most topics, review your math so that you are ready for a calculus course.
    Thanks because I need to know what to work with during offseason
  • LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,286 Senior Member
    Parent2Noles is an FSU alum and believe has children presently on campus. Search his posts about the FAMU-FSU Engineering School situation. He is straightforward in his bias for FSU, but his opinons have always seemed well thought out.
2»
This discussion has been closed.