Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Structural Engineering in UCSD

MobikadeMobikade Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited February 2013 in Engineering Majors
Im a third year studying Structural Engineering in UCSD. Anybody knows if this major is worth studying? I was studying EE before, but I switched to SE solely because it fits in better with my interests. However, after two quarters of it, I realize that finding an internship is really hard. I have a very mediocre gpa of 3.2, so perhaps thats the reason why. So fellow CCers, what does the outside world think of a BS degree in SE from UCSD? Is it any good? Is it even possible to find a job in the economy right now? Or should I cut my losses and go back to EE haha?
Post edited by Mobikade on

Replies to: Structural Engineering in UCSD

• aerokid1491aerokid1491 Registered User Posts: 380 Member
    I am surprised it would be so tough for you to find jobs. I have seen plenty of structural analysis type internships for like Boeing when I looked for internships with them. Obviously, many companies will need someone to analyze the structure of products they make, particularly for products that could harm people if the products fails. I think EE has more opportunities honestly, though. I have seen many research oriented places hire mostly EE and obviously we need hardware and communications for many things.

However, if you like Structural Engineering more, I think you should be able to at least get a job. But I don't think there will be nearly as many options for that compared to EE.

Good luck though!
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 72,105 Senior Member
    At many schools, structural engineering is part of civil engineering.

However, at UCSD, structural engineering is ABET accredited under general criteria only, not as civil engineering. Based on Undergraduate Program | Structural Engineering, University of California San Diego , it does appear to be focused on more topics than the usual civil engineering structural topics.

But if you are mainly looking in the civil engineering area for jobs, realize that the 2008 downturn was driven by a real estate and construction crash, which is now only slowly being recovered from.
This discussion has been closed.