Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

UCONN too hard vs. other schools

Crean184Crean184 Registered User Posts: 7 New Member
edited February 2013 in Engineering Majors
My son was accepted into ACES at UConn, basically has to have a 3.4 GPA after first or second semester to get into ME school. I think this is a lot of pressure on a freshman. He did get into ME program at other schools, URI, Stonybrook, UVM, Wentworth, Roger Williams.

He really wants to go to UCONN, his first choice all along. Anyone know if the programs are that different and UCONN that much harder? Should he go to s school where he is already in the program and not have to "prove" himself during Freshman year?

Any input advice would be appreciated.
Post edited by Crean184 on

Replies to: UCONN too hard vs. other schools

• Jan2013Jan2013 - Posts: 277 Junior Member
    I feel your pain. But GPA 3.4 is also required in my school in order to graduate and/or transfer to other schools and/or doing Dual Degree Program. Such GPA is doable and lots of my friends have been able to get/maintain it including me. I personally believe that it is a weed-out system for Engineering School, etc.
  • MADadMADad Registered User Posts: 2,016 Senior Member
    UMass is similar--freshman S is "engineering--undeclared" unitl next year, pending on his freshman grades.
This discussion has been closed.