Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Law School right after Undergraduate?

relytoxicrelytoxic Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited March 2013 in Engineering Majors
Hello,

I am planning on going to an Engineering school and graduating then going to Law School to study IP Law. My question is: how long after Undergraduate school should I attend Law School? I don't think that tuition or fees will be a big deal. Should I get my undergraduate degree and get a job somewhere to wait a bit to go to Law School? Or should I attend Law School right out of Undergraduate school?

(I want to major in Computer Engineering. I am looking at Georgia Tech and University of Florida for undergraduate schools)
Post edited by relytoxic on

Replies to: Law School right after Undergraduate?

• KamelAkbarKamelAkbar Registered User Posts: 500 Member
    I'd just go straight to law school after undergrad. Bear in mind that you probably won't end up going to law school only because it seems most people with specific long-term plans like these change their plans eventually. Go to engineering school first, and start thinking about law school when you're a ~junior. Do regular stuff engineering students do including engineering internships. If you're still excited by the idea of spending three years in law school when you're a junior/senior and have the grades to get into a decent one, there's a good chance you're a good enough student to have some pretty well-paying job prospects. Will you really want to spend another 3 years in college given this alternative? You can't answer that question until you're there, but you definitely won't have the same perspective on school after a few years in engineering school.
  • Lookin4wardLookin4ward Registered User Posts: 709 Member
    I would work first. I too want to go to law school and I have been researching it for a few years but I know for sure that I want to work for a year or two first. My situation is different though since I am a non traditional student and I want to pay off debts before I go.

Although it is not necessary, firms value professional work experience and will give you something to talk about during OCI interviews your 2L year. The main thing though is just try to keep your G.P.A as high as possible because law schools don't care about what your major is....just your G.P.A and LSAT combo.

Feel free to send me a p.m. if you would like to know some of the research I have encountered to become an IP attorney.
  • sacchisacchi Registered User Posts: 2,133 Senior Member
    I've worked with a lot of patent lawyers. All of the ones I know worked for at least a few years as an engineer before going to law school. For patent law I think that is a better path. However, if you are still in high school, it is way too early to decide on this.

There is some info about patent law on the law school forum
    http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/law-school/235271-overview-patent-intellectual-property-law.html
    Law School - College Confidential
  • relytoxicrelytoxic Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks to everyone for your advice!
This discussion has been closed.