Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Opinions on applying to non-engineering related internships?

happyramenhappyramen Registered User Posts: 128 Junior Member
I'm a current sophomore civil engineering major looking into summer internships now. I was looking through different companies that offer internship, and saw some that looked really interesting even though they had little to do with engineering, or at least civil engineering. A few of them are more related to my hobbies and interests, for example there's one related to working at a radio-station. I was wondering what would everyone's opinion be on applying for these internships? Would it be a good idea? or should I just stick purely with engineering ones?

Replies to: Opinions on applying to non-engineering related internships?

• LakeWashingtonLakeWashington Registered User Posts: 9,298 Senior Member
    It should be based on your interest. But realize that time spent away from engineering might slow you down somewhat, career-wise. But a internship with a non-engineering firm might suit you.

You've probably heard by now that investment firms really like engineering majors. And Lake Jr., a chemical engineering major, has interviewed with government agencies that have nothing to do with engineering. I wasn't crazy about that but it's his decision.
This discussion has been closed.