Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Waiting a few years before Engineering Grad School...Ways To Start Making Myself a GREAT APPLICANT!?

CollegeKid27CollegeKid27 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
Okay so...

I am a graduating electrical and computer engineering major in May, 2015. Concentration in Systems Engineering. Systems engineering internships for biggest defense contractor and research experience in Systems engineering. I want to go to grad school for Systems Engineering.

BUT! I have some family things going on and I need to be home for a year or 2 before I go to grad school.

SO! I am going to try and find a local job, (Philly metro area), as hopefully a systems engineer or something relevant so as to keep my industry experience along the lines of systems engineering. However, I am a try hard! So I need something extra to make myself a "wow" kind of candidate, (i.e. unpaid research in systems engineering, joining committees, doing things at night to assist a professor with Systems work).

So any advice guys? How can I, with the next 2 years of my life, keep myself relevant with systems engineering as I already am, and make myself an even stronger applicant to grad school so that I am NEEDED so much that I can get research assistantships and such?

Thanks!

Replies to: Waiting a few years before Engineering Grad School...Ways To Start Making Myself a GREAT APPLICANT!?

• ucbalumnusucbalumnus Registered User Posts: 70,972 Senior Member
    It isn't that unusual for a student to graduate with a bachelor's in engineering, work for a few years, then go back to school for PhD study. Try to take a job involving your focus area and keep current on what kinds of research is going on in the focus area.

If your goal is a master's degree, then many employers will pay for part time study toward a master's degree while you are working.
  • CollegeKid27CollegeKid27 Registered User Posts: 176 Junior Member
    I would like to do a full time masters with a thesis for the sake of completely immersing myself in the degree. It is important to me that I do that, and by doing so, I also may be able to attain a research assistantship. Any feedback here?
  • xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,526 Forum Champion
    Not all programs give TA positions to Masters candidates. You might have to self fund unless you can get into a funded research position (again, if that is given to Masters students). Nevertheless, work experience is a plus for graduate school applications in engineering.
This discussion has been closed.