Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

How difficult is it to become an Engineer with an Undergraduate Degree in Physics?

cawmomcawmom Registered User Posts: 26 Junior Member
I am torn between studying physics and studying engineering. Could I realistically move into engineering if I study physics as an undergrad?

Replies to: How difficult is it to become an Engineer with an Undergraduate Degree in Physics?

• GMTplus7GMTplus7 Registered User Posts: 14,567 Senior Member
    Not without transferring if the initial undergrad school u select doesn't have an engineering major.

• xraymancsxraymancs Forum Champion Graduate School Posts: 4,572 Forum Champion
    Yes, you can find a job in engineering with a physics degree if you judiciously choose your elective courses to include a significant amount of design or if you choose an Engineering or Applied Physics degree, where that kind of course material is built into the curriculum.
  • txl146txl146 Registered User Posts: 40 Junior Member
    I work in 300mm semiconductor fab and deal with engineers with Physics background (mostly PhD).
  • cosmicfishcosmicfish Registered User Posts: 4,271 Senior Member
    I know a few engineers who work as engineers with physics degrees, although some (not all!) went on to get engineering graduate degrees.
This discussion has been closed.