Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

MS in Systems Engineering

htxtochihtxtochi Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
Hey CC,

I am looking into applying to an online MS in Systems Engineering program. My understanding, and why I would like to be in a Systems Engineering program is the ability to learn about building a system (whether in hardware or IT), and also getting a business background in what I am learning. I am looking into the University of Michigan and possibly Arizona State University.

Currently, I work for a tech start up and have a degree in MIS which I was able to take some computer science courses. I have also taken some computer science courses online. I wanted to know if anyone has any experience with applying to a masters program like this, and if they can help me understand what are some things I should know before getting myself into a program like this. To my understanding, I may have a chance, but since my degree is not in engineering my ability to get into a program may be limited. I would love any feedback I can get.

Replies to: MS in Systems Engineering

• sciencenerdsciencenerd Registered User Posts: 1,730 Senior Member
    I'd look at what programs require as prereqs and what classes are required for the degree. I would like it varies widely by college/University.

I don't believe you have to be an engineering major to apply for/get accepted to the programs.
  • htxtochihtxtochi Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
    Thanks sciencenerd! I am taking some advanced math classes right now to make sure I have a stronger background. I believe my programming experience would be useful in my application, but hopefully I can still get in. I appreciate your advice.
This discussion has been closed.