right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04
We've updated the Topics page of our website to better organize and share our expert content. Read more about it here.

Expected New Grad Salary

10s4life10s4life 2211 replies47 threadsForum Champion UCLA Forum Champion
What would you say is a good salary to accept for a new grad on the west coast in electrical engineering? Is 83k something you would negotiate?
36 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: Expected New Grad Salary

• momofsenior1momofsenior1 6989 replies49 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would use the college's career center's reported average starting salaries for EEs as a guide. So much too depends on on where on the west coast, cost of living, and the new grads internship/co-op experiences.
    · Reply · Share
  • jym626jym626 55330 replies2878 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Depending on where on the west coast your kid is looking, and whether its a big company vs a start-up, the salary may be low or may be ok. Is this a first job out out of college?
    · Reply · Share
  • eyemgheyemgh 5569 replies121 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    For BS only, I suspect $83k with standard benefits like health and 401k is above the mean for a new UCLA EE with a BS. The latest information they post in their first destination survey is 2017. I can't access it from my pad though.
    · Reply · Share
    Also can loo on glassdoor.com for salary comparisons. Lots of other sites show average starting salary and you can enter location, years of experience, etc.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7753 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    I would not negotiate if the recent grad doesn't have at least one other offer. I know of many EEs with substantial experience who are earning in the mid-90s although not on the West Coast.
    · Reply · Share
  • 10s4life10s4life 2211 replies47 threadsForum Champion UCLA Forum Champion
    edited August 16
    I’m the potential new grad. Will graduate in June of next year but have the offer. I do have previous internship and experience and a decent but not outstanding gpa. Others I know for the company are getting mid 70s to start. @eyemgh Looks like the BS median from UCLA is 75,500.
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • doschicosdoschicos 20873 replies216 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Congrats on the nice offer, @10s4life!
    · Reply · Share
    @Publisher I currently don’t have other offers.
    · Reply · Share
  • PublisherPublisher 7753 replies80 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Actual work experience in your chosen field is quite valuable & valued.
    · Reply · Share
  • AboutTheSameAboutTheSame 3097 replies47 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Take the 83K. It sounds as though they actually bumped you up a bit. What negotiating power do you think you have? Prove your worth and go for it in salary review.
    · Reply · Share
  • sushirittosushiritto 3863 replies9 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    @10s4life Good for you! Congrats!
    · Reply · Share
    edited August 16
    Congrats! If you are happy with the company/the job (was it an offer after the completion of an internship?) say yes and relax through your senior year! Are you getting a signing bonus?
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • ProfessorPlum168ProfessorPlum168 3983 replies86 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    EECS and LSCS grads average $110K at Berkeley according to the 201y survey.
    · Reply · Share
  • KnowsstuffKnowsstuff 3953 replies16 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 16
    Ask for stock options 😉. I know someone that took a much lower offer but higher stock options. Not sure how this all works but the company was sold out to Google. Think the stock options convert over. He is sitting pretty now and their paying him to go back to school to get a cs degree. He had a business major with Cs minor from WashU.
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • OHMomof2OHMomof2 12735 replies235 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    Also to consider:
    Salary
    Signing bonus
    Relocation funding
    Benefits (vacation days, sick days, health insurance, 401k matching, education/tuition, etc)
    · Reply · Share
  • CaMom13CaMom13 1855 replies12 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    edited August 16
    I second the glassdoor suggestion - with a larger company it will give you some idea of the range of starting salaries. With smaller firms there will be less data so maybe check out a local competitor. Whether 83K is a good offer very much depends on housing costs - CA in general is expensive but San Francisco is worse than LA which is worse than Bakersfield.. You might also ask about overtime pay. I didn't know this was a "thing" but two of my D's job offers came from companies that paid salary on an hourly basis for hours over 40 - so essentially the job was salaried but you got overtime. Since engineering projects regularly have crunch times when people need to work late, that makes a nice "bonus" amount on top of the base salary.
    edited August 16
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77733 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    EECS and LSCS grads average $110K at Berkeley according to the 201y survey.

Yes, but probably 90% of UCB EECS students emphasize CS, so that is not a good comparison for a graduating EE student.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 77733 replies678 threadsRegistered User Senior Member
    OHMomof2 wrote: »
    Also to consider:
    Salary
    Signing bonus
    Relocation funding
    Benefits (vacation days, sick days, health insurance, 401k matching, education/tuition, etc)

Note that some benefits can be of substantial value in total compensation. For example, the level of employer subsidy for medical insurance can be many thousands of dollars per year, and vary from one employer to another. Choice of plans can also matter (typical choices from high end employers in California are Kaiser, a network HMO, and a network PPO). 401k match amounts and choice of investments can be significantly different as well. Number of paid time off days per year can also vary.
    · Reply · Share
    @ucbalumnus Ya the company has generous benefits including multiple health plans, health savings accounts, 401k plus up to 8% match, life insurance, and tuition reimbursement. There is also a bonus plan for employees that are below the manager/exec level.
    · Reply · Share