right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

What branch of mechanical engineering should I go into?

WeAReVEn0mWeAReVEn0m 0 replies1 threads New Member
I'm pretty comfortable with math, but not with chemistry. When it comes to programming I'm kind of....meh? I've only been teaching myself Python for 2 months, so sue me.

But seriously, what do you guys think?
4 replies
· Reply · Share

Replies to: What branch of mechanical engineering should I go into?

• lookingforwardlookingforward 34763 replies391 threads Senior Member
    The issue isn't what you're comfortable with, but how you've prepared in the basics, what stretch, relevant ECs. Before deciding, as a hs kid, what branch, are you, in fact, qualified for an engineering program? Will it show in your app?
    · Reply · Share
  • boneh3adboneh3ad 7476 replies132 threadsForum Champion Engineering Forum Champion
    I honestly don't understand the question. Earning a BS means you're a generalist in your field, perhaps with a few targeted electives. Your options are wide open up to graduation.
    · Reply · Share
  • RichInPittRichInPitt 1232 replies16 threads Senior Member
    I don’t think those parameters make any difference. Any focus areas in MechE - Manufacturing, Robotics, Aero, Energy/Enviro, etc. depending on the school - require math, programming, etc., etc.

It’s typically not until at least Junior year in college that you would chose a concentration, if at all (my D’s school does, mine didn’t). You need the basic in mechanics, thermo, fluids, controls, etc., to decide how you wish to apply them.
    · Reply · Share
  • ucbalumnusucbalumnus 78957 replies701 threads Senior Member
    An ME major typically would not have to consider subarea elective choices until junior year at the earliest.
    · Reply · Share