Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

What to major in if I am interested in computer graphics?

beramodberamod - Posts: 512 Member
edited February 2005 in Engineering Majors
I was thinking maybe computer science, but i heard from posts that it's not a solid major. But, I don't also want to major in something "obscure" like art.
Although I have a passion for art, I don't think I can make living with art, being an international living in a foreign country. Any thoughts? please.
Post edited by beramod on

Replies to: What to major in if I am interested in computer graphics?

• feifei . Posts: 688 Member
    computer science is more programmings...you can take graphics degree I think..or if you are interested mechanical engineering uses art too..you get to design machine parts, cars etc..if you are into that thing.
  • MrHappyFaceMrHappyFace Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    If you want computer graphics, you'll need to go, if not to an art school, a school with a strong art program. Graphic Artists don't even touch computers until they've had many foundation courses in drawing, painting, etc.
  • thomaschauthomaschau Registered User Posts: 510 Member
    Computer graphics as in... developing 3D video engines and game graphics and improving on the software of CAD? Then computer science is good.

If you mean making art by using a computer, then an art school would be the choice.

Making computers that make art. Making art with computers. Which one?
  • beramodberamod - Posts: 512 Member
    Ouch. I meant like making movies with softwares like 3ds max and maya. But I really can't go to an art school because my parents will never let me.
  • MrHappyFaceMrHappyFace Registered User Posts: 143 Junior Member
    Yea, then your best option would be to go to a school with a strong art program or look for schools with Digital Media Design programs. Penn has one in their engineering school that I may transfer into after my freshman year if I am drawn toward it.
  • James JoyceJames Joyce Registered User Posts: 28 New Member
    how is it "not a solid major"
  • blackeyedsusanblackeyedsusan Registered User Posts: 2,520 Senior Member
    You should look at Carnegie Mellon. Their graphic design department includes computer graphics, and even though you graduate with a B.F.A. degree you can do something else if you need to since you have a CMU diploma. I ended up going to law school.
This discussion has been closed.