Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Which school is the best for EE??

Replies to: Which school is the best for EE??

• A.S.A.P.A.S.A.P. Registered User Posts: 2,663 Senior Member
    im_blue Why do you think internationals make up over half the class? Are they that much better educated than US kids, or do fewer US kids apply?
  • im_blueim_blue Registered User Posts: 2,142 Senior Member
    - International schools don't have the money to buy the sophisticated lab facilities that U.S. universities can afford, so many international students want to study in the U.S.
    - There are a lot more international students than domestic students in the world.
    - U.S. students go on to industry more.
    - International students are more geared toward math and science since elementary school.
    - The international students primarily come from a few countries, like China, India, and South Korea.
  • rtkysgrtkysg Registered User Posts: 598 Member
    "im_blue Why do you think internationals make up over half the class? Are they that much better educated than US kids, or do fewer US kids apply?"

Which university are you referring to ? In Caltech and MIT only about 25% (for grad schools) and 9% (for undergrad) are internationals. I believe Stanford have slightly more, but I don't think they can make up half of the class.
    im_blue,

Are you now in Masters or PhD program ?
  • Sam LeeSam Lee Registered User Posts: 9,449 Senior Member
    boomer,

Northwestern's strength in "soft" fields like journalism/communication/theater/music may give any average person the impression that it's not good in engineering but it's undergrad program is actually ranked #13. It's not just good at BME. Its material science dept is a pioneer in the field and always in top-3 but then mat sci is not a well-known field. NU's IE is ranked like #7, better than many of those "known for engineering". But then some don't view it as real engineering. ;)
    The top EE programs have the following percentages of international grad students: MIT 30%, Stanford 81%, Berkeley 40%, UIUC 49%, Caltech 45%, Michigan 66%, Georgia Tech 48%, CMU 59%, Purdue 79%, Cornell 55%, Princeton 63%, UCLA 52%. I don't know if Stanford is actually that extreme, but you can see that on average, over half of the population is international. I don't have the link for this information, but I got it from an online directory of graduate schools. MIT's percentage is low because their acceptance rate for internationals is several times lower than for domestic applicants.

I got my MS EE last year, so I'm currently in the PhD program at Stanford.
    im_blue,

Can you give the link to the website, I don't think Caltech EE dept. has so many international grad students (45% ??).
  • hellohello Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    back to the original question :),

I got accepted to UIUC, and I think the decision will probably come down to UIUC or UMich or CMU or Cornell or Rice

Any opinions on UIUC's EE program??
  • joemamajoemama Registered User Posts: 554 Member
    If you can hack the cost, go to the smaller elite school, ie CMU, Cornell or Rice.

More personal attention.
  • CC AdminCC Admin Administrator Posts: 32,448 Senior Member
    the figure for international grad students for umich sounds too small. i haven't had an engineering TA who isn't asian.
    I can think of two reasons why that might be:
    1) Many fellowships are reserved for U.S. students, so they don't have to TA.
    2) Asian-Americans are probably the majority of U.S. students as well.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,617 Senior Member
    Hello, all 5 schools are awesome...and so different that chosing between them should be easy. Here is how I would personally rank the schools in several aspects:

In terms of overall academic reputation, I would rank the five as follows:
    #1 Cornell University and University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    #3 Carnegie Mellon University and Rice University
    #5 UIUC

In terms of EE rankings:
    #1 UIUC
    #2 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    #3 Cornell University
    #4 Carnegie Mellon University
    #5 Rice University

In terms of campus life:
    #1 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    #2 Rice University
    #3 Cornell University
    #4 UIUC
    #5 Carnegie Mellon University

In terms of overall setting:
    #1 University of Michigan-Ann Arbor
    #2 Cornell University
    #3 Rice University
    #4 Carnegie Mellon University
    #5 UIUC

So, it really depands what you want. But either way, you cannot go wrong.
  • hellohello Registered User Posts: 1,199 Senior Member
    Thanx Alexandre, but abt CMU, Cornell & Rice, dont you think since they are private & smaller they might better for undergrad than UMich or UIUC.
  • AlexandreAlexandre Registered User Posts: 24,617 Senior Member
    Hello, funny that you and I should both live in Dubai! hehe I already know of three students from the UAE who will be attending Michigan next fall. I hope you do too.

To answer your question about size and public vs private, it really depends what you want. Each offers different benefits and disadvantages. But it is a myth that private universities are better, either at the graduate or un dergraduate level. In many cases, the myth is justified, but not always. For example, Michigan has a larger endowment and budget than Cornell...by a sizeable amount. And classes at Michigan are usually smaller than at Cornell.

By the way, I went to Cornell graduate school, and I think very highly of Cornell. Michigan and Cornell are practically identical. Rice is much more typical of a private university. Carnegie Mellon is more of an institute of technology than anything else.
  • gianievvegianievve Registered User Posts: 1,821 Senior Member
    could someone explain what UIUC is?
This discussion has been closed.