Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Drug Design + Chem Eng?...

drmambodrmambo Registered User Posts: 459 Member
edited April 2007 in Engineering Majors
Hi, I've currently been accepted to a few university for Chemical Engineering, but what I really want to do after I graduate isn't build plants, it's design drugs. I've looked at the option of a Chem Eng. Major with a minor in Pharmacology, but what other academic paths would anyone suggests?

Am I stumbling down the wrong path here (for my intended goal)?
Post edited by drmambo on

Replies to: Drug Design + Chem Eng?...

• seaweedseaweed Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    u can also major in biochemical engineering if the schools u got into offer any.

or like what you said, u can major in chemical engineering and minor in a biological sciences major (biology, microbiology..etc).

to be involved in drug design research, u need to get a PhD degree in relevant fields (chemistry, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry..etc). however, if u just wish to be involved in the drug manufacturing, process design or bioreactor maintenance, a BS or MS in chemical/biochemical engineering will do.
  • drmambodrmambo Registered User Posts: 459 Member
    Thank you seaweed, that was incredibly helpful. At the moment I'm not sure if I'd be content just manufacturing drugs. I'd rather not get ahead of myself though.

Thanks again!
  • RETHEEMRETHEEM Registered User Posts: 86 Junior Member
    for chemE,its more of the process design and control,drug delivery=more chemistry,which is not equal to chemE
    so you suggest I look more at a chemistry major with a pharmacology minor?

Is pharmacology > chemistry in the drug work place (ie, would I be more marketable as a chem eng with a min. in pharm, or a chemistry maj with a min in pharm?)?
  • GatorEng23GatorEng23 Registered User Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    For drug research and design, a PHd in chemistry or biochemistry is a must (basically synthetic chemistry is what you're probably specialize in). If you're not exactly sure you want to do that, then I would do the chemE degree with a minor in biochem or some related field to keep my options opened. But if you're sure, I would do the chem/pharmacology major and continue to grad school.

Realize that people's mind change all the time. Take a few courses and see if you like it and want to pursue it. You don't have to decide now.
    thank you, mr. Gator. I'm gonna put myself out there and assume your either from florida or a gator fan and if so: I saw the Florida-UCLA game yesterday...holy crap!
  • GatorEng23GatorEng23 Registered User Posts: 1,571 Senior Member
    Yea, I'm a UF EE student, and you're gonna see the same thing against Ohio State. :)
    Nah, I'm rooting the other way. I was a bit disappointed with OSU when you guys meet up for the bowl, I'm predicting an OSU NCAA championship this year, baby!
This discussion has been closed.