Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Where would you decide to go...

PuttPutt Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
edited January 2008 in Engineering Majors
So lets assume... that you applied and got into:
UPenn
UMich- ann arbor
UIllinois U-C
Johns Hopkins
Carnegie Mellon

You applied for Materials science and engineering... and think/plan to do that, but is not 100% sure....

Rank where you would go... 1 being where you would go... and 5 being where you would least likely go.... Dont just say one place

("you" is technically me in this situation.... but yea... just to avoid "wherever you think fits you best" or "depends on what you like" as an answer)
Post edited by Putt on

Replies to: Where would you decide to go...

• lssd2012lssd2012 Registered User Posts: 175 Junior Member
    Assuming you wanted to go into a field of engineering

1) UMich
    2)UIUC
    3) Carnegie Mellon
    4) UPenn
    5) Johns Hopkins
  • Mike41691Mike41691 Registered User Posts: 3,501 Junior Member
    1)UIUC
    2)UPenn
    3)UMich
    4)Johns Hopkins
    5)CM
  • atlhawksatlhawks Registered User Posts: 94 Junior Member
    If you really are not sure what you will study, then I would suggest going to a more well-rounded school like Univ. of Michigan. They are highly ranked in nearly any field - so if you do have a change of heart, you will be alright. Somewhere like Carnegie Mellon, that is not so much the case.

If you think you might be interested at all in medical fields, I would go to JHU - if you aren't, then probably don't go there.

I really do not know much about UPenn, other than its business school is highly regarded and they are an ivy league school.

UIUC is equivelant to UMich, but not as well rounded imo
  • UCBChemEGradUCBChemEGrad Registered User Posts: 10,277 Senior Member
    Are you in-state for either UIUC or Michigan? If so, I would choose your in-state university.

You didn't ask, but a lot of the other choices are great if you chose a different major, that might trump UIUC or Michigan:

U Penn for Wharton School of Business
    Johns Hopkins for Biomedical Engineering
    Carnegie Mellon for Computer Engineering
    If you really are not sure what you will study, then I would suggest going to a more well-rounded school like Univ. of Michigan.
    I agree with the above statement.
  • PuttPutt Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Im an international student by the way....

Well, my list goes like this at the moment...

UPenn
    UMich
    ......... not sure :\

Draw backs from JHU and CMU is that JHU (from what ive heard) is not worthed at all if I dont go for Bio and especially if im going into UG...
    CMU, I just hear that the environment is just.... not that great and fun...

UPenn is up there because my brother is there, and that it is an ivy, whereas UIUC isnt as prestigious compared to the others... and whether I like it or not, it plays a bigger role considering where Im from
    ^ All valid reasons, and I agree with you. However, UPenn does not have the strongest reputation in engineering. You may want to consider Cornell as an Ivy substitute.
  • PuttPutt Registered User Posts: 68 Junior Member
    Yea... Cornell... Rejected ED >_>

But I dont have high hopes for UPenn anyways.... and if I get into UMich then thats all good...

But the confusion I am having is mostly in UIUC vs JHU vs CMU...
    ^ Ah. Sorry about that.

Out of UIUC vs JHU vs CMU, I would say:

UIUC
    JHU
    CMU

UIUC is strong in a lot of academic programs.
    JHU of course for bio/biomedical etc.
    CMU for computer engineering.

UIUC will give an environment most close to UMich.
  • greg7greg7 Registered User Posts: 89 Junior Member
    According to USNEWS 2008 ranking for Undergrad Engineering, UIUC has the highest engineering ranking among those of your list. Also, two years ago their Materials Science Engineering was ranked #1. Last year their ranking slipped a little (anyone know why?) and Stanford is now at the top of the list - with a very small undergrad class size. I've visited the Materials Science Engineering programs at UIUC and UM and was very impressed with both.
  • tahncol86tahncol86 Registered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    I am currently working on a material science-related report for a professor who come from a UMich background.
    I read somewhat 30 journals, and most of them were written by Michigan professors. FYI, this is nuclear material science.
This discussion has been closed.