Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Engineering Degree vs Science Degree

bennisbennis Registered User Posts: 351 Member
edited February 2008 in Engineering Majors
So I am trying to decide what I want to major in. I have always thought that I want to get an Engineering Degree, but have been thinking about science degrees too. What are the pros and cons of each type of degree? Does a person with a Mechanical Engineering degree have the same opportunities that a person with a degree in Physics has? Does a person who studies Biomedical Engineering have the same opportunities that a person who studies biology or microbiology has?

Thanks!
Post edited by bennis on

Replies to: Engineering Degree vs Science Degree

• Mr PayneMr Payne Registered User Posts: 8,850 Senior Member
    I would tend to think that Engineering has better opportunities than the science degrees in virtually all respects. Assuming equal skill sets, GPA and school - I think Engineering would give a wider range of options (and likely have the pay advantage).
  • ChamilitaryMayneChamilitaryMayne Registered User Posts: 781 Member
    Engineering is all application which is more useful in the real world. Therefore there are more opportunities with an engineering degree.
  • jessiehljessiehl Registered User Posts: 3,328 Senior Member
    In general, engineering probably has a wider in-field job range, but it depends on your specific major. I mean, biotech companies will generally hire bio and chem majors, for example.
This discussion has been closed.