right arrow
Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

How to get in to MIT for MS in computer enigneering !!!!!!!!!!!!!

letgoforwardletgoforward 84 replies63 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 147 Junior Member
edited January 2010 in Engineering Majors
Im majoring in Computer engineering also double with electrical engineering
Im gonna tranfer to one of universities below for fall 2008
Cal Poly, Pomona
UCI, UCSB, UCSC , UCR
SJSU
Which one should I go in order to get in to MIT?
And Please give me some advices about what I have to prepare now in order to get in to MIT after getting my BS.
Also, What is the requirement for MIT admission also?
How hard is that?
edited January 2010
30 replies
Post edited by letgoforward on
· Reply · Share

Replies to: How to get in to MIT for MS in computer enigneering !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• tahncol86tahncol86 214 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    Wow, I don't know where to start... (fyi I am not an EE or CS.. I am just giving my opinion).

You should really try to find what motivates you first, and look for professors within your field of interest, do research, take hard classes that complement your research/motivation, do internships that relate to your research. THEN look for a masters program that matches your profile...

Then, where ever that is (UCB, MIT, Stanford, etc.) you will most likely get into the program.
    · Reply · Share
  • chaoseschaoses 1029 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,039 Member
    you can get into MIT MS from ANY school if you're good enough.
    admission to MIT MS is not as popular as phD, you still need GRE and a high GPA, good research interest / background. But most importantly high GPA.
    · Reply · Share
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver 6555 replies55 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    I've heard from former alumni that MIT's GPA cutoff is around a 3.8-3.85, so be sure to keep that pretty high.
    · Reply · Share
  • chaoseschaoses 1029 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,039 Member
    not necessary a cut off gpa. You can still apply with 3.0 or above. For MS it's less popular (most just apply to phD). So you can still get in with a 3.5 or 3.6 with other decent stats.
    · Reply · Share
  • ish718ish718 247 replies6 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 253 Junior Member
    Well MIT is the top engineering school in the country, just do your best.
    High GPA, extra curricular,etc...
    · Reply · Share
  • ken285ken285 3901 replies30 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 3,931 Senior Member
    Extracurriculars? No. Replace that with research.
    · Reply · Share
  • tahncol86tahncol86 214 replies10 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 224 Junior Member
    IMO, more than a 3.8 + gpa, as long as you are capable of significantly contributing with previous research and internship experiences that relate to what professors at MIT are researching... I'd say you'll be solid.
    · Reply · Share
  • StanEEStanEE 31 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    1) MIT has a department of electrical engineering and computer science. If you want to study something related to computer engineering, then you should apply to EECS.
    2) MIT does not have a dedicated MS-only program. The way it works is that all students are admitted to the doctoral program and they earn the MS along the way. This has several ramifications. First, the number of students is not as big. Two, you start on your research in your first semester and you don't take as many classes.
    3) For the MS at MIT, you only need to take 4 classes but you need to finish a thesis. On the other hand, Stanford requires about ~10-12 classes for the MS (without a thesis)

Therefore, it depends what you want to do with your MS. If you simply want to go work in industry, then I think the MS only program at Stanford would be more your thing for several reasons. First, it is easier to get into. Second, you have to take more classes than at MIT. Finally, through the SCPD program, you can enroll in the MS program at Stanford while working whereas MIT does not offer distance learning. Another program to consider would be the M.Eng program at Cornell.
    · Reply · Share
  • StanEEStanEE 31 replies0 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
    Other good MS programs include the USC EE program and the Georgia MSEE program.
    · Reply · Share
  • MegaaadiMegaaadi 211 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    Do they give financial aid of some kind? like teaching assistantship and others.

And StanEE when you mean Stanford is easier? How much easier is it?? Any data on the number of applicants applied and accepted in MIT and Stanford
    · Reply · Share
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit 12245 replies129 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,374 Senior Member
    MIT's EECS graduate program has 100 spots. They generally admit about 150-175 students, and in 2005 and 2006 (which are the only years for which I have numbers), 2500 students applied.
    · Reply · Share
    Ouch. I thought the EECS at MIT had more graduate students since it was so popular... I guess not.

Also a question for molliebatmit, are those numbers available somewhere on the web? Thank you.
    · Reply · Share
  • MegaaadiMegaaadi 211 replies12 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 223 Junior Member
    my another question

Do you have to be EECS or EE or ECE will do??

And the other question about stanford frm the above post plz...
    · Reply · Share
  • molliebatmitmolliebatmit 12245 replies129 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 12,374 Senior Member
    The 2005 numbers are here and the 2006 numbers are here.
    · Reply · Share
  • 20LEGEND20LEGEND 1223 replies136 discussionsRegistered User Posts: 1,359 Senior Member
    1. Learn to spell.
    2. Use fewer exclamation marks.

3. See if you can get into UCI's honors program. It's quite brilliant. Would be your best bet.
    · Reply · Share
This discussion has been closed.

Recent Activity