Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Computer Engineering to Med School

titanium101titanium101 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
edited September 2009 in Engineering Majors
I would like to have a major in Computer Engineering and maybe Moleculary Biology but eventually go into medical school. Does this seem like a good goal while still having a social life.
Post edited by titanium101 on

Replies to: Computer Engineering to Med School

• membermember - Posts: 612 Junior Member
    Its fine, it just puts you at a disadvantage to med school admissions. But the disadvantage is up to you, its not a certainty. Your competition will likely have been in a easier less rigorous major and thus have higher gpa. if you can keep a competitive gpa, then you should be fine.
  • PurdueEEPurdueEE Registered User Posts: 705 Member
    I would imagine that those in the admissions offices at respected med schools would weight a 3.8 engineering GPA higher than a 3.9 underwater basketweaving GPA.
  • scorpscorp Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    Getting a 3.8 in engineering (out of 4) will be very hard. Good luck.
  • membermember - Posts: 612 Junior Member
    PurdueEE, while I have no source to back this, consensus in both printed publications as well as online academic and online comm,unities, all pretty much agree that gpa is all that matters. A 3.9 in Art vs a 3.8 in Engineering, the Art will win every time.
  • ele902ele902 Registered User Posts: 274 Junior Member
    ^ Yes, GPA matter, not the major. The major can help you on the MCATS though
  • titanium101titanium101 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Well if I do a double major, they would simply average both the gpas for the engineering and bio major. Is that how it works?
  • winbackerwinbacker Registered User Posts: 87 Junior Member
    If you know 100% that you want to be a doctor then choose an "easier" major. Med school admissions are HIGHLY competitive and GPA is much much more important than your undergrad major.
    With a simpler major you'll have time to volunteer at hospitals and clinics so you can boost your resume.
  • vblickvblick Registered User Posts: 464 Member
    PurdueEE, while I have no source to back this, consensus in both printed publications as well as online academic and online comm,unities, all pretty much agree that gpa is all that matters. A 3.9 in Art vs a 3.8 in Engineering, the Art will win every time.

i've heard the same.
  • nshah9617nshah9617 Registered User Posts: 1,005 Senior Member
    We see this topic every couple of weeks.

To get into medical school you need a HIGH GPA--no ifs, buts or any excuses. Engineering will typically destroy your GPA and while you might get some slack for having a hard major, you'll still need above a 3.5 to be marginally competitive.

Now if you love computer engineering by all means do it. If you want to major in some sort of engineering, Biomedical is a much better choice since you'll have your premed classes covered.

What it comes down to is that YES this is entirely possible but it'll be hard. It's much easier to major in something else (Med schools don't care anyway) and get a 4.0.
    Another thing to look at is the medical school apps. Medicals schools calculate your GPA different ways--some have just a core science GPA (that might exclude engineering classes) while others don't.

Bottom line: get a high GPA.
    Another thing to look at is the medical school apps. Medicals schools calculate your GPA different ways--some have just a core science GPA (that might exclude engineering classes) while others don't.

Bottom line: get a high GPA.
  • titanium101titanium101 Registered User Posts: 64 Junior Member
    Thanks for the responses. Now, I am kind of scared to pursue engineering as a major now. BME makes a lot of sense for engineering and med school. I guess I don't have to choose the major now..and still have two years. Thanks guys.
This discussion has been closed.