Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

BME and CmpE together?

sushiservsushiserv Registered User Posts: 5 New Member
edited August 2009 in Engineering Majors
Can I do BME and CmpE together?

I can already do CmpE.. sort of. I built my first computer when I was 10.. it was a crappy P3 comp.. but hey... I can write simple programs, and I can put together an electrical circuit thingy with a breadboard to light an LED Light. Its pretty *-*;

I know the subdiscipline I want to do in BME - Genetic Engineering.. but I don't love as much as I love computers and stuff.. yes I am a nerd.. Can I major and minor, or am I doomed to sacrifice my true love for second best -_-?
Post edited by sushiserv on

Replies to: BME and CmpE together?

• PurdueEEPurdueEE Registered User Posts: 705 Member
    I can already do CmpE.. sort of. I built my first computer when I was 10.. it was a crappy P3 comp.. but hey... I can write simple programs, and I can put together an electrical circuit thingy with a breadboard to light an LED Light. Its pretty *-*;
    You've made it to week 2 of freshman year, congrats. You have a long way to go.

Can you? Yes. Is it a waste of time? Yes. Why are you worried about second best?
  • sumzupsumzup Registered User Posts: 799 Member
    I think I am in the same boat. I see no reason why it shouldn't be possible, but I think it will be a killer courseload.
  • AuburnMathTutorAuburnMathTutor Registered User Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    *preparing to shout into the wind*

"Don't double major in two engineering fields..."
    "If you have to double major, choose one engineering field and one liberal arts or business field..."
    "Double majoring in engineering looks disingenuous..."

"You've made it to week 2 of freshman year, congrats. You have a long way to go."
    - Wow, harsh. I don't know what's involved in "building a computer", as the OP put it, but I imagine this means using pre-fab parts and wiring them up. If that's the case, you don't really need to learn how to do that in college (anyone with a high-school diploma and a reference manual should be able to figure that out).

Here are my honest suggestions:
    - Major and minor, if you want two engineering fields (BME and CmpE)
    - Double major in BME and CS*
    - Double major in CmpE and Biology

* Apparently, some places CS is more like engineering than a pure science (as it ought to be). If this is the case, one could always major in math and take the discrete math electives.
  • scorpscorp Registered User Posts: 994 Member
    AMT, CS might not be technically engineering but double majoring in BME & CS is no less crazy than BME & CE.

Speaking of CS not being engineering whenever I tell people I'm studying CS they go "Oh so you're going to be a programmer" which to be sounds worse than "Oh so you're going to be a plumber" which is snobby, I know, but it bothers me.
  • AuburnMathTutorAuburnMathTutor Registered User Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    "AMT, CS might not be technically engineering but double majoring in BME & CS is no less crazy than BME & CE."
    - I don't mean to imply that CS is easier than CmpE. I believe the opposite, in fact. My reasoning has nothing to do with the inherent difficulty of the subjects. If the question were one of difficulty, I am of the opinion that literally any curriculum is possible (well, under a maximal credit hour constraint, etc.)

"Speaking of CS not being engineering whenever I tell people I'm studying CS they go "Oh so you're going to be a programmer" which to be sounds worse than "Oh so you're going to be a plumber" which is snobby, I know, but it bothers me. "
    - There are nobler and there are better paying majors than engineering. Engineering might be a good mix, but that doesn't mean it's better than any others. It's about trade-offs. If I didn't think CS was right for me, I wouldn't be a CS major.
This discussion has been closed.