Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

ChemE sub fields

Freedom ToastFreedom Toast Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
edited September 2009 in Engineering Majors
I want to work on car batteries for fuel cell/plug in cars. Would I want to work with a professor who deals with transport or reaction kinetics? Thanks.
Post edited by Freedom Toast on

Replies to: ChemE sub fields

  • JapherJapher Registered User Posts: 1,349 Senior Member
    I would say kinetics
  • seanbowseanbow Registered User Posts: 100 Junior Member
    I'd say they're both pretty important in batteries/fuel cells actually. Pick the one who is actually trying to apply their research to batteries or fuel cells, if either are.

    Ex: transport is important in the transfer of the hydrogen proton across fuel cell membranes, kinetics are important for parts like the oxidation/reduction reactions on either side of the cell.
  • Freedom ToastFreedom Toast Registered User Posts: 25 New Member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking too. I'm better at transport than I am kinetics, but the kinetics guy is the one working on batteries. We'll see, I have time to decide. Thanks for the responses.
  • feenotypefeenotype Registered User Posts: 2,311 Senior Member
    Go with the professor who is actually working on a project of interest to you. Their so-called forte is of minimal importance as you will have to master all the facets of the project.
This discussion has been closed.