Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Engineering-Where to apply

homehomehomehome Registered User Posts: 2 New Member
edited April 2010 in Engineering Majors
Where to apply?

Hi guys,
i am in IB 2 right now and want to apply to unis in USA for next year
I am planning on doing mechanical engineering,
And i have NO IDEA on hoe to choose my colleges....
like i am expecting around 38/39 in total but have no idea where to apply!
right now, i am thinking of
MIT, UPENN, Cornell, Brown, Tufts, Duke, Michigan...
guys, am I aiming too high?
I now the 1st few i have written are really good and are all Ivy league....is there a ranking within the Ivy league? and which is the easiest to get into in the Ivy league or are they all equally hard to enter?
i feel like i have selected the best unis and everything, but have i also chosen universities that are of my standard and also ones that are like backup unis?
If i havent pls help me do so!!
Thanks a lot!
home home
Post edited by homehome on

Replies to: Engineering-Where to apply

• boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,448 Forum Champion
    I have no idea about IB stuff so I can't say whether ou are aiming too high.

I CAN tell you that Ivies are generally not known for engineering. The only two good engineering Ivies are Cornell and Princeton, in that order. Penn is decent for engineering I suppose, but nothing special compared to a lot of other schools.

Are you against state schools for some reason? There are a ton of state schools with awesome engineering departments that are easily better than most on your list. For example, Berkeley, Illinois, Purdue, Geogia Tech, Texas or Texas A&M. If you aren't opposed to state schools for some unknown reason, then I would consider adding a few since they are easier to get into (usually) and often have better programs than Ivies or other small or private schools.
This discussion has been closed.