Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

Replies to: Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

• TheMan777TheMan777 Registered User Posts: 685 Member
    Well, even though you will have to payback more money for Berkeley, I am sure you won't regret going to Berkeley over Rugter for engineer school. If you live in the state of Purdue/UT Austin/Gatech/Michigan/UIUC, I wouldn't bluntly suggest go Berkeley but I never heard of Rugters for engineer school let alone considered it when I was applying to school for grad school.

Haven't you applied to any other engineer schools? I mean if your high school GPA/SAT scores are high enough to get an acceptance letter from Berkeley, you should have received scholarship from better engineer school than rugters with some form of scholarship....

If those are only option, go Berkeley and get somewhere in life.

OK so if you don't go to Purdue/UT Austin/Gatech/Michigan/UIUC you shouldn't consider engineering because every student who goes there is CLEARLY better than everyone else... Let alone, you forget to mention other good "highly ranked" engineering colleges like Olin and Cooper Union.

First of all you haven't heard of "rugters" because its spelled RUTGERS. Its the state college of New Jersey. Obviously you haven't heard of the school because you are so fixated on rankings. Its New Jersey's highest ranked state university and respectable for engineering. You are saying that it won't get you anywhere? Wow...

Berkeley, while a better school is more expensive to the OP and I am betting that he got so much money from Rutgers because he is instate (or at least nearby) - have you even considered the traveling/personal factors?

If you care about prestige - than pursue a masters after you graduate at a highly ranked school. It shouldn't matter WHERE you go to school but rather WHAT you learn. Engineering is one of those fields where actually APPLYING the skills you learn in college is important. Rankings are trivial i am betting that 90% of the people who look into those don't even know what the rankings are based off of.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,447 Forum Champion
    TheMan777:

While I think you misinterpreted a few parts of his post, I don't blame you because reading it is like trying to decipher a cryptogram. He, as always, is blinded by rankings and doesn't really know anything about colleges that aren't written down on the USNWR sheet, and even those, I am willing to bet that he doesn't actually no much about any of them other than they are ranked well by USNWR.
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    Did I just read this? So you are saying that if he graduates from anywhere else he will not go anywhere in life? Another reason not to listen to his posts.
    I am sure you won't regret going to Berkeley over Rugter for engineer school.
    Again, it is spelled RUTGERS.
  • CSmajor5CSmajor5 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    OK.... can someone who knows so well about Rutgers please compare these following with Berkeley.

1) What's job placement figure for Rutgers? What's job placement figure before graduation/post graduation within a year?

2) What are some names of big corporation companies come to career fair for Rutger? What are some high profile companies that will visit Berkeley where as you won't see them in Rutgers career fair for recruitment.

3) Any engineer department better compare to Berkeley? Any NCEE professors within your department?

4) so you went to Rutger and got a job. You satisfied with your job placement? Was it easier to get a job with companies post graduation?
    4. Relatively easy*
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,447 Forum Champion
    I would suggest ignoring CSmajor5's third point, but the other 3 are valid AND useful. I am in class or I would look it up.
    3) What is it about Rutgers that sets apart from other engineer school? For former/current students, did you have excellent opportunity for research and educational outcome? Any great Rutger professors who holds NAE (National Academy of Engineer) whom you can ask for LOR for top grad school admission?
    Quote:
    Did I just read this? So you are saying that if he graduates from anywhere else he will not go anywhere in life? Another reason not to listen to his posts.

That was just direct comparison between Berkeley and Rutgers. Not other schools.

Ok, everyone knows Berkeley is better in every major than Rutgers and chance to get a better job increase with #1 public school in the nation. He's ONLY concern is "Do I get my bang for the money for my investment on Berkeley degree." Now I can't guarantee he will have better life by going to Berkeley since it's all up to his performance/dedication in the school but you have to agree.... he will have more opportunity by going to Berkeley.

I don't know anything about Rutgers and I never heard of this school until I saw the topic. So pretty much I don't know jack about Rutgers. Was I wrong to start bad mouthing on school I do not know much about? maybe. But when I never heard of Rutgers for engineer school...... can it really compare to the world known university like Berkeley?
    Quote:
    Rutger... not even in top 50 engineer program (not tier 1 school).
    false: Rutgers is a tier 1 university

I just checked. it's ranked 53 not tier1.
  • toblintoblin Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    Do all of the top 20 engineering colleges use this same "traditional engineering regime"? Is there a better method?

These are many, Rose Hulman, Olin, Harvey Mudd to name a few. Most of the large older schools are primarily research institutions, thus under grad education is not their first priority. I suggest you look for schools that do not use TA's, do not have large lecture classes and have a curriculum that includes real engineering courses starting in freshmen year. In many traditional engineering schools your core engineering class don't start till your third year.
    Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey--New Brunswick - Best Colleges - Education - US News and World Report

It is a tier 1 university. In 2008 it was ranked 48th among engineering schools. Tier 1 is different than top 10 csmajor. Get it right.
    Now I can't guarantee he will have better life by going to Berkeley
    You can't guarantee anything. Stop making assertions that you cannot back up.
    Although there are a number of public universities better then Rutgers, quality for dollars it's an excellent school. They have a strong engineering program and with good grades, you'll have no problem getting a job after graduation. Because the coursework for engineering is so rigorous, jobs are extremley plentiful. Remember, with an engineering degree you can pretty much do any career math related. Go to Rutgers and save your money. If you do well, you'll have no problem getting into a top grad school

This was an answer on another site discussing Rutger's engineering.
  • aglagesaglages Registered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    I suggest you look for schools that do not use TA's, do not have large lecture classes and have a curriculum that includes real engineering courses starting in freshmen year.
    Thank you. It seems unlikely that the "top" 20 colleges would meet the above description because they probably would not be "top" 20 without an emphasis on grad research.
    @aggieengineer

Rutgers was tier1 school but NOT ANYMORE. top50 university is tier1 and Rutgers placed 66th in USNWR for national university category for this year 2010.

If the Rutgers engineer program is so great, there's no need for that type of discussion to ensure students/parents' concern regarding job placement and admission grad school. That alone shows lack of confidence in its program in my opinion.
  • ken285ken285 Registered User Posts: 3,931 Senior Member
    CSMajor5, where did you get your undergrad degree?
    Gatech CompE. Currently pursuing master in computer science
This discussion has been closed.