Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

Replies to: Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

• ChemE14ChemE14 Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    Like you even said, we all know that Berkeley's engineering is better and more well-known than Rutgers'. If he has the money to go to Berkeley than he probably should, but like someone else said earlier, if money were not a problem he would not have come on here posting about the money. $90000+ debt is not worth going to Berkeley for, and there's no doubt that Berkeley's OOS is going to go up significantly during the next few years.

And you commented on Rutgers' USNWR ranking, why does that even matter? There isn't a big difference between #50 and #66, especially considering they WERE in the top 50 before. Who's to say they won't even break into that range again while he's there at Rutgers' (even though I don't believe the ranking difference matters that much)?
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,448 Forum Champion
    CSmajor5 wrote:
    top50 university is tier1

And who are you to decide where the tiers are broken up? In fact, the concept of tiers is kind of goofy to begin with. By most conventional measures, Rutgers is not a tier 1 university in engineering. However, these tiers are entirely arbitrary and subject to individual opinions and perceptions. The only place where tiers are really written down is in USNWR and even that is arbitrarily set as a number. Two schools with marginal difference in quality can easily fall in different tiers. In fact, it is highly likely that such a situation happens since, when you get that far from the top, the lines blur between each school. There are tons of schools with roughly the same quality just outside the top 20 or so range.
    aglages wrote:
    Thank you. It seems unlikely that the "top" 20 colleges would meet the above description because they probably would not be "top" 20 without an emphasis on grad research.

Don't get too hung up on the TA thing. You will never, or almost never see a TA teaching a class anywhere. Usually, TA's just run the side discussion sections, but a full professor does the lectures. Both have office hours. In my entire time in undergrad at a large school, I had 2 classes fully taught by a TA: a 100-level Psych class and a 100-level Geography class. I also had one engineering class taught by a post-doc, which is light years better than a TA and basically just as qualified as a professor.
  • aglagesaglages Registered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    Thanks boneh3ad! That should help my search.
    I guess that I should add that my undergrad school had roughly 30,000 undergrads and 9,000 or so grad students, so while it isn't the absolutely largest school in the country, it is still quite large, and yet that was my experience.
  • mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    My opinion is go to Rutgers. However, I have to wonder about the application logic. I assume both of these are OOS? I don't know why the OP didn't apply to more schools in-between these and with better financial conditions. But that's water under the bridge unless the OP would go to a community college for a year or take a gap year and apply to a different configuration of colleges or try and improve his scholarship/financial funding situation.
  • aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    Obviously, USNWR thinks they are tier 1 or they would not have put tier 1 under their ranking. You don't choose the way things are, they do.
  • kotokoto Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    Wow, so I actually go to Rutgers. (I'm a freshman, though, so I don't have as much experience.)

The SWE/MEET Career Fair had Lockheed Martin, Merck, Parsons Brinckerhoff, Stryker Orthopedics, Telephonics, Gannett Fleming, PPL Corporation, and PSEG.
    I know Accenture, Abbott Labs, and the CIA hire from Rutgers a lot.

The high-profile companies that will visit Berkeley are also going to go based on location. Obviously, they're not going to travel across the country to try and find interns/employees. Johnson & Johnson has headquarters right on the Rutgers New Brunswick campus, and I know someone who got a Coca-Cola job offer recently.

I am not going to try and tell you Rutgers is on par or better than Berkeley, no. But I will say that Rutgers is a respectable school, and it should definitely be considered, especially considering the cost discrepancy.
  • SanzenSanzen Registered User Posts: 16 New Member
    Go to Rutgers undergrad, do well, and then get your MS at UC Berkeley.

Hell...that's exactly what I did.
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    I checked Rutgers site...couldn't find any pertinent information, stupid marketing dept..so I had to use my research skills :) jk

something I like to do is google the '<school name>' , 'engineering' , and 'resume'. I then can find resumes from undergrads in engineering from rutgers,

The first one I found ended up at Princeton for Ph.D
    Shalinee Kishore - Resume

the second one I found, also ended up at princeton (strange)
    Jeffrey Dwoskin - Resume

the third I found sucked (hoped around in diff engineering jobs and left for teaching ??)

The fourth I found ended at Cornell for Phd
    http://www.engr.uconn.edu/cee/pdf/Vadas_CV_11-20-09.pdf

The fith went into industry, looong list of consulting, did very well
    http://www.sommatechconsulting.com/pdfs/Miraglia%20Paul.pdf

Summary, 3 off to ivy's, 1 sucked and the other did really well in industry...I stopped looking there. oh and add sanzen as the sixth one who went to berkely : )

Note: I'm not suprised with the results Rutgers is a fine university
    Interesting information, cyclone10, but not really relevant. 5 or 6 resumes is hardly a representative sample, and it is a biased sample at that.
    how is it biased?
    Do you think jobless engineers are going to have their resumes online? In fact, most people don't have it online unless they are a professor or something, so that implies that all the resumes you find the way you did are going to be from the super-successful minority. That goes for any school.

It is kind of like doing a national opinion poll and only polling people in Georgia. It is not going to be representative of the opinion of the country at all.

At the very least, it does show that some people can go to top graduate schools from Rutgers and get some pretty cool jobs, but it doesn't really show how common that is or anything else.
    yea that makes sense.
  • chuychuy Registered User Posts: 3,916 Senior Member
    Yeah, it's like when you see a self-reported salary distribution. Those with higher salaries are more likely to report than those with very low salaries. Something to keep in mind at least.
  • EngineersRkoolEngineersRkool Registered User Posts: 33 Junior Member
    Rutgers is top 50 at the undergrad level, like #51 at grads level, and is like top 30 for Aerospace at grads level. I go there and is actually surprised that its ranked this high. Typical averages in ECE dept ranges from 30-60 depending upon teachers, who hardly teaches anything except for making difficult exams.

With that being said $90k is hell lot of money. It's engineering man and what could Berkeley possibly teach you anything different than some school in China say on semiconductor devices especially at undergrad level.
This discussion has been closed.