Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

124»

Replies to: Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

• ScorpioserpentScorpioserpent Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    I live in NJ and have been planning on going to Rutgers for years. Plans changed for me, but I will say Rutgers is well repected in the area. Probably the best college in NJ after Princeton. If you are instate, I'd go there hands down.
  • RamblinmanRamblinman Registered User Posts: 613 Member
    I can't imagine paying 90,000 for undergrad, much less 90,000 in addition.

Out of those two, the only one I'd go to would be Berkeley, but I wouldn't be able to afford that much. I actually chose Berkeley because it was the most affordable (and one of the best).

I would choose a university that is better in engineering than Rutgers, and that is in your local state.
  • toblintoblin Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    The best undergrad engineering school in NJ is P'ton followed by Rowan. Rutgers undergrad engineering is a long and brutal trek that for most of the lucky survivors takes 5 years or more to complete. That's because at Rutger's CoE undergrad education is not a priority.
  • kotokoto Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    Most lucky survivors? Anyone I know with 5 years in undergraduate engineering here at Rutgers is only doing so for a double major or dual degree. The majority is graduating with an undergraduate education in engineering in 4 years.

Unfortunately, a lot of professors are not hired for teaching skill, but for research and grants. Some turn out to be great teachers, while others are terrible. It is a flaw state universities are often not able or willing to fix due to budget constraints or the like.
  • toblintoblin Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    It is a flaw state universities are often not able or willing to fix due to budget constraints or the like.

I respectfully disagree. This lack of focus on undergrads is the result of long held policies that are the hallmark of large, research focused, state universities. And there are many state U's that whose #1 priority is undergrad education and many with extraordinary engineering/science programs.

For grad school big research driven universities are the indeed the best option. But in terms of results (especially productivity and delivered value) they are the worst choice for anyone considering an undergrad engineering education.
    Alright. That is good to know and I respect your views. (I can't say I'm an expert on this subject, but that was my view, albeit naive.)
    Rowan's better than Rutgers? I live down the road from Rowan, but turned down that school as well because of how terribly it treated accepted transfers. They said transfers would be there almost 4 years which was very disheartening.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,447 Forum Champion
    The lack of focus on undergrad education is not a hallmark of large, research oriented state universities. It is the hallmark of research focused universities of all types, even the privates. Chances are, if they are focusing on research, they are focusing on grad school regardless of where they get most of their funding.

That said, outside of NJ, no one has even heard of Rowan. If you want to leave NJ, Rutgers is still probably the better choice, regardless of whether the state of NJ considers it a better or worse engineering school.
    Honestly? Inside New Jersey, I hadn't even heard of Rowan until someone I knew from Rutgers transferred there.
    Even though I live right next to Rowan and hear about it all the time, I was advised to not attend it because it's too new of an engineering school to make a name for itself and that I should choose rutgers or drexel instead. Even in NJ, I would think Rutgers is better than Rowan, TCNJ, NJIT, etc.
  • amarch53amarch53 Registered User Posts: 81 Junior Member
    how about TCNJ? that is definitely second behing P'ton in NJ. idk much about their engineering dept tho, but it is pretty affordable if you are instate and a much smaller school then Rutgers
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,447 Forum Champion
    How can you possibly say it's second best and then say you don't know much about their program? Do you think before you talk?
    TCNJ is a small liberal art school. it's more selective than Rutgers, but I don't think it's known for engineering.
  • baseballnerdbaseballnerd Registered User Posts: 179 Junior Member
    TCNJ is best Public school in New Jersey OVERALL. But for Engineering Rutgers is the better choice.
  • Yakyu SpiritsYakyu Spirits Registered User Posts: 825 Member
    Berkeley and the Bay Area is so much nicer than New Jersey
124»
This discussion has been closed.