Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

MonchichiMonchichi Registered User Posts: 39 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Engineering Majors
Hey,

I was wondering which college would be better for mechanical engineering. I know Berkeley is more prestigious, but Rutgers would be way cheaper for me.

Rutger's cost would be $60,000, while Berkeley's would be $150,000.

This is a $90,000 difference. Would this be worth the name/education of Berkeley? How much does prestige matter in job salaries?

Thanks,
Any help appreciated
Post edited by Monchichi on

Replies to: Rugters vs. UC Berkeley

• aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    That's 90,000 dollars that could pay for grad school and maybe more.
  • ChemE14ChemE14 Registered User Posts: 280 Junior Member
    I say take Rutgers and the money.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,448 Forum Champion
    Yeah, I would tend to agree that you should go with Rutgers in most situations here. That is a lot of cash, and while not at Berkeley's level, Rutgers is not a bad engineering school.
  • CSmajor5CSmajor5 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    Well, Rutger is not even close to the prestige of Berkeley.

Overall Berkeley ranking #3 in the nation
    All engineer programs on top10 list except agriculture.

Rutger... not even in top 50 engineer program (not tier 1 school).
    None I see in top 10 list in engineer category.

Well if you go to Rutger and end up with decent engineer degree and end up jobless with 60,000 debt is worth more than top notch education with highly likely chance to get hire from top corpration, and pay back for opportunity and job outcome you will received....... Berkeley would be your choice.

In my opinion, go to school in the ranking between MIT ~ Purdue if you want engineer degree.

Yout college tag last life time. The people connection and having better education can open up opportunity. Don't be afraid of money tag and go for Berkeley if you got acceptance letter.
    Rutger... not even in top 50 engineer program (not tier 1 school).
    false: Rutgers is a tier 1 university
    In my opinion, go to school in the ranking between MIT ~ Purdue if you want engineer degree.
    There are tons more people that graduate with an engineering degree from a school outside the top 10 rankings who are doing just fine.
    Well, Rutger is not even close to the prestige of Berkeley
    Why don't you get the name of the school right before you comment about prestige?
    Don't be afraid of money tag and go for Berkeley if you got acceptance letter.
    If he were not afraid of money then he would not be here asking this question since Berkeley would be the obvious choice. Money is an issue, and $90,000 debt is a lot.

Berkeley is the better school, but even if you graduate there and get a good job it is going to take years to pay off the debt that you incurred. $90,000 doesn't just go away after a couple of years pay, especially with a starting engineering salary. Go to Rutgers, save yourself the worry of debt, and save the money for grad school if that is what you see in your future. There's always the chance of going to grad school at places like Berkeley.
    CSmajor5 wrote:

You mind explaining why you think this, because for many situations, that just isn't true.

For example, you can get into a top grad school from plenty of no-name undergrad schools. You can get into top companies that are located in the region at lesser ranked engineering schools since companies have been proven to hire regionally. Rankings aren't everything. In fact, rankings are a very flawed method of measuring program quality. They generally get schools in the right general area, but that is about it. Only the top 10 or so schools are in their roughly correct places, and even that is debatable.

For example, USNWR ranks CalTech as the #2 undergraduate aerospace engineering program. CalTech does NOT have an undergraduate aerospace engineering program. They don't offer a BS in Aeronautical Engineering. Their graduate program, GALCIT, is second to none, but the undergraduate program is nonexistent. That is how flawed the ranking systems are.

Rutgers get recruited regionally pretty well, so as long as this person doesn't mind staying in the northeast for their first job, then there is absolutely no reason to go to Berkeley if money is that big of an issue. If money were no object, then sure, go to Berkeley. This is the real world, and college isn't free.
    CSmajor5 wrote:
    Well if you go to Rutger and end up with decent engineer degree and end up jobless with 60,000 debt is worth more than top notch education with highly likely chance to get hire from top corpration, and pay back for opportunity and job outcome you will received....... Berkeley would be your choice.

Simple math tells you that this is only true if you don't get a job out of Rutgers for 18 months. There is a $90k disparity between Rutgers and Berkeley for this person, and the average BS-level engineering position pays about $60k. That is a full year and a half it would take to make up that $90k. If you don't get a job within a year and a half coming out of Rutgers, you are doing it wrong. If you don't have a job within a couple of months at ANY school, there is something else behind that problem besides just what school you came from.
    That is a full year and a half to make it up assuming every single cent you made goes towards paying off the debt which is also not possible. Also, interest payments on the loans alone will be a nightmare on top of it all.
  • kotokoto Registered User Posts: 384 Member
    Money has been a huge issue, especially in these past few years. Many engineering students at Rutgers are ones who turned down acceptances to "better" but far more expensive schools, so you'll be in fine company. I personally love it here at Rutgers and, as has already been stated, it is ridiculous to say that you won't get a job after graduating from Rutgers. (unless your gpa is terrible, but I don't see you letting it get to such a point.)
  • chuychuy Registered User Posts: 3,916 Senior Member
    Ignore CS.

You say there's a 90k difference, would that 90k have to be made up in loans? If so, let me give you some advice. If you've wonder whether or not it's a good idea to take out 90k in student loans for undergrad, the answer is NO.

To get that paid off in the standard 10 years you'd have to pay over 1k per month, and you'd end up repaying about 125k. And that's assuming you wouldn't have to take out any loans at all on top of the difference.

Unless you can get some amazing scholarships go to Rutgers, get a fine education, go find a good job.
  • silence_kitsilence_kit Registered User Posts: 1,826 Senior Member
    haha csmajor is douch-ing it up again . . .

csmajor are you even in college yet?
    That is a full year and a half to make it up assuming every single cent you made goes towards paying off the debt which is also not possible. Also, interest payments on the loans alone will be a nightmare on top of it all.

I wasn't talking about until you were out of debt. I was talking about until the extra salary matched your debt. Of course when you factor living expenses and such in there, it will take even longer. It would probably require more like 2 or 3 years until the time to be debt-free evened out.
    csmajor are you even in college yet?

He claims to be an M.S. student in the Computer Science department at Georgia Tech. He also claims to be a U.S. citizen. Something doesn't add up, though. His command of the English language leaves something to be desired, and his general ignorance makes GT, as school that I have enormous respect for, look bad. It is quite sad really.
  • toblintoblin Registered User Posts: 1,862 Senior Member
    Both schools offer the old-school, traditional engineering regime of two years of non-engineering weed out courses taught mainly by foreign born, non-English speaking TA's. And the "prestige" of both school belongs exclusively to their graduate programs. Save the $.
  • aglagesaglages Registered User Posts: 2,633 Senior Member
    toblin: Do all of the top 20 engineering colleges use this same "traditional engineering regime"? Is there a better method?
  • vblickvblick Registered User Posts: 464 Member
    I wasn't talking about until you were out of debt. I was talking about until the extra salary matched your debt. Of course when you factor living expenses and such in there, it will take even longer. It would probably require more like 2 or 3 years until the time to be debt-free evened out.

You guys aren't even taking in to account the high tax bracket he'll be in. He's not taking home a hard $60k/yr. He'll probably be taxed somewhere between 35% or so.
  • CSmajor5CSmajor5 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    Well, even though you will have to payback more money for Berkeley, I am sure you won't regret going to Berkeley over Rugter for engineer school. If you live in the state of Purdue/UT Austin/Gatech/Michigan/UIUC, I wouldn't bluntly suggest go Berkeley but I never heard of Rugters for engineer school let alone considered it when I was applying to school for grad school.

Haven't you applied to any other engineer schools? I mean if your high school GPA/SAT scores are high enough to get an acceptance letter from Berkeley, you should have received scholarship from better engineer school than rugters with some form of scholarship....

If those are only option, go Berkeley and get somewhere in life.
This discussion has been closed.