Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

importance of Introduction to Engineering course?

yg7s7yg7s7 Registered User Posts: 876 Member
edited April 2010 in Engineering Majors
How important are they? I'm a rising senior and most likely to go grad school for Master's in Engineering without UG degree in engineering. Many programs I looked into require you to take several UG level courses before you can begin, but not Introduction to Engineering, which many UG programs seem to have. Will skipping this class have an impact on transitioning to engineering?

I can take this class as an elective in my senior year though at a different school
Post edited by yg7s7 on

Replies to: importance of Introduction to Engineering course?

• AuburnMathTutorAuburnMathTutor Registered User Posts: 1,770 Senior Member
    "Intro to engineering" has an importance of 0.000 x 0^0.
  • yg7s7yg7s7 Registered User Posts: 876 Member
    LOL i see.
    I asked this question because I thought taking this class might increase my chance of getting admitted to grad school by showing that I'm interested in engineering.
  • bigtreesbigtrees User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    "Intro to engineering" has an importance of 0.000 x 0^0

That's a good one.

My Intro to Engineering had an $80 book that was required. Since I was a naieve freshman, I bought the book. We never used it once during the class!
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    In UG engineering courses there are many things "methods' if you will, that the prof expects you to already know or learn by your self i.e. matlab, error analysis methods, VBA, solidworks, economics analysis, etc. etc. so these intro to ENG courses just give you some familiar with these topics that will be expected of you later on.
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,445 Forum Champion
    Shoot I don't know if I ever DIDN'T buy a book. I still have almost all my books from my last two years of undergrad. It has really come in handy.
  • RacinReaverRacinReaver Registered User Posts: 6,610 Senior Member
    I felt my Intro to Materials Science was a pretty useful class. I use my textbook from that class more often than any of my others since it tends to have clear and concise descriptions for what I need.
  • notre dame ALnotre dame AL Registered User Posts: 1,674 Senior Member
    It helps weed out the serious engineering intents from that ones that "thought" they wanted to major in engineering?
This discussion has been closed.