Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Need help with choosing college for Computer Science major

rucryanrucryan Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
edited May 2010 in Engineering Majors
Hi, I am a international high school senior. I've been accepted to these schools: RIT, Purdue, U of Minnesota Twin Cities, Virginia Tech, UPitts and wait-listed for WPI. Though the deadline is reaching, I am still confused which one to choose. My major is Computer Science by the way. Among those schools, I like WPI the most, yet I have to deposit in another school to make sure I have a spot before I get the final decision from them. I would really appreciate if anyone could recommend any of those schools with some facts.
thanks guys
Post edited by rucryan on

Replies to: Need help with choosing college for Computer Science major

• LongPrimeLongPrime - Posts: 5,208 Senior Member
    all fine schools.
    Pittsburgh, because it is a major airport. All others will take a bus or a smaller commuter plane to a major airport.
  • mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    ^U Minnesota Twin Cities has to be close to an airport and WPI is within an hour of TWO significant airports, actually closer to Providence, RI than Boston.... assuming airports are a big consideration. Purdue is only a hour drive from Indianapolis International airport, but two hours from both Chicago airports. Put a deposit down on Purdue or Virginia Tech and wait and see what happens with WPI then you can make a final choice.
  • rucryanrucryan Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks for the helpful information about location and traveling issues guys.
    Speaking of academics, especially in Engineering and Computer Science, which one do you think is the strongest?
  • worried_momworried_mom Registered User Posts: 2,205 Senior Member
    Besides WPI, I would recommend Purdue and VT as the strongest for engineering and computer science.
  • BootedBooted Registered User Posts: 49 Junior Member
    A good CS school teaches a lot of Math:

Calc 1-3
    Discreet
    Linear Algebra
    Calc Based Probabilty
    maybe Differential Equations

and it uses Lisp in atleast one of its classes. If the school meets these two requirements, you are getting a quality education.
  • noimaginationnoimagination Registered User Posts: 7,054 Senior Member
    Purdue and Minnesota are probably most prestigious in CS/engineering.
  • rucryanrucryan Registered User Posts: 3 New Member
    Thanks a lot of the advice guys. I have decided to deposit in Purdue :D
  • roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    Is computer science - as used in this thread - the same as computer engineering (CE)?
  • zman5zman5 Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    ^ no. there isn't a computer science forum so people pose computer science questions here because CS is somewhat similar to engineering
  • roderickroderick Registered User Posts: 1,488 Senior Member
    thanks, zman. Anyone: what are the differences between CS and CE?
  • zman5zman5 Registered User Posts: 247 Junior Member
    CS is more advanced programming and the theory that goes with it. CE is a subset of EE that includes programming
This discussion has been closed.