Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

what are the smaller engineering programs; warmer cimate, creative for LD student

2»

Replies to: what are the smaller engineering programs; warmer cimate, creative for LD student

• mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    A lot of the suggestions don't satisfy all the criteria. Some schools aren't all that small (like Cal Poly SLO, but the OP said that's on the list anyway). Others don't have aerospace engineering (like Baylor), but the OP also said ME and Biomedical were being considered. Other suggestions aren't in warm places (like Olin). Others might not have ROTC. Other conditions include possible Christian or LD friendly. I am putting ones on the table that fit some things,,, like semi-warm locations even if not western US. Western US really only leaves CA and TX unless there is a school in AZ. I have listed small schools that have aero and biomedical eng, since ME is pretty common. I would suggest the AF academy but CO might be too cold and it might be LD unfriendly. There may be some FL or other southern schools that might be a fit too. The student is a junior, so there's time to narrow down the list. I think this is just for suggestions to explore. It is up to the OP to determine what conditions are the top priority and which are of lesser importance like location, size, etc.
  • siglio21siglio21 Registered User Posts: 2,678 Senior Member
    ftr u of a refers to the university of arizona

as far as i know thats the only school correctly referred to as U of A
    University of Arkansas is just "Arkansas", University of Alabama is UA or "Bama" as far as I know
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,448 Forum Champion
    siglio21 wrote:
    as far as i know thats the only school correctly referred to as U of A
    University of Arkansas is just "Arkansas", University of Alabama is UA or "Bama" as far as I know

That varies regionally. I have never heard Arizona called U of A when I lived in Illinois or Texas. Everyone just says Arizona. I could say "U of I" for UIUC and it would technically be correct because everyone in Illinois and Missouri and surrounding states (other than Iowa) just says U of I, but that hardly makes it obvious to people outside the region.
  • siglio21siglio21 Registered User Posts: 2,678 Senior Member
    hmm...well nearly every californian call univ of arizona U of A or arizona...i suppose it is regional
  • joyjoy1321joyjoy1321 Registered User Posts: 127 Junior Member
    You should look at LeTourneau University in Longview, TX (LeTourneau University | Longview, Texas). It is a Christian school with an engineering program. I know that they have some sort of pilot school and that a lot of engineers from their get jobs at aerospace companies in Dallas and Houston. The campus is really nice too.
  • BanjoHitterBanjoHitter Registered User Posts: 1,497 Senior Member
    I just did a CollegeView search based on the criteria you listed (other than "West of the Mississippi, since that seems optional), and came up with four schools:

-LeTourneau (already mentioned but no Aerospace or Biomedical)
    -U Alabama Huntsville (no Biomedical)
    -Catholic University (I guess because I included VA in the search - not really all that warm and doesn't have Aerospace)
    -Embry-Riddle (you already included it but no Biomedical)

It seems like if you want a school with Biomedical, Aerospace, and Mechanical, you're going to have to look at the larger schools.
2»
This discussion has been closed.