Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

what are the smaller engineering programs; warmer cimate, creative for LD student

genevasgenevas Registered User Posts: 31 Junior Member
edited May 2010 in Engineering Majors
My JR HS son is passionate about ME or Aerospace or possibly bio med, but does not want a memorize and burn , lecture and test learning environment. He is storng in math and sciences but has LD with regard to english,& wants to avoid lots of reading and composition. What smaller schools have a learn by doing approach?? The big UC's would not be a match due to ginormous classes the first 2 years...
his list so far includes cal poly SL, and CPoly Pomona, and embry riddle or Trinity U

Many do not seem to even get beyond theory and basic req's until well into junior year.

A warmer climate would preferred, as would W. of the mississippi,

he has a 3.7 4. GPA weighted

1950 SAT total

EC's include private pilots lisc, Civil Air patrol, several construction mission trips abroad

a Christian school would be o.k. he is also hoping to do AFROTC

Any Advice about the above would be appreciated
Post edited by genevas on

Replies to: what are the smaller engineering programs; warmer cimate, creative for LD student

• HitManHitMan Registered User Posts: 798 Member
    I would look at:

Franklin W. Olin College of Engineering Needham, MA (far I know but their program is really nice

Harvey Mudd Pomona, CA ( one of the Claremont colleges)
  • boneh3adboneh3ad Forum Champion Engineering Posts: 7,448 Forum Champion
    HitMan, Olin is about as far away from "South and West of the Mississippi" as you can get.
  • siglio21siglio21 Registered User Posts: 2,678 Senior Member
    the cal polys definitely...i know that U of A has really leaned towards the whole learn by doing that in recent years, more so than other colleges, so look at that too (it's massive thgh)

the truth is that it is impossible to avoid some sort of english req for engineering freshmen in the west...there are a few schools back east (i heard brown and rochester) that do not have such a requirement

a good choice for AFROTC is new mexico tech...also ERAU in prescott
    siglio21 wrote:
    ...i know that U of A has...

You may want to clarify what "U of A" means. There are four states starting in the letter A, all of which have at least one university that could be abbreviated U of A.
    genevas wrote:
    My JR HS son is passionate about ME or Aerospace or possibly bio med, but does not want a memorize and burn , lecture and test learning environment. He is storng in math and sciences but has LD with regard to english,& wants to avoid lots of reading and composition. What smaller schools have a learn by doing approach?? The big UC's would not be a match due to ginormous classes the first 2 years...
    his list so far includes cal poly SL, and CPoly Pomona, and embry riddle or Trinity U

Many do not seem to even get beyond theory and basic req's until well into junior year.

genevas,

I agree the Cal Poly schools may be a good choice and that Harvey Mudd may be good, though it is a somewhat "radical" approach to engineering education and has incredibly high admissions standards, so that may not be a fit. Embry-Riddle has been suggested, but it is really only a great option if aerospace turns out to be the major of choice, as it is a university dedicated to everything aerospace.

I would be careful thinking in the mindset of being totally against a "memorize and burn , lecture and test learning environment" because while engineering doesn't have a ton of memorization if you do it right, you will not find a school that doesn't have a lot of lecture/test style courses. Add to that the fact that engineering is, by it nature, a tough course of study, and you aren't going to find a school where some people don't burn out, no matter how small or hands-on it is.

As an engineer, he is guaranteed to not have to do a ton of composition (though labs require lab reports, this is technical writing and may not be as terrible to him). On the other hand, it may require a fair amount of reading depending on how diligent he wants to be about reading the texts. Personally, I never did much of that, even when assigned (oops) but I did know a fair number of people who did.
  • redfedora711redfedora711 Registered User Posts: 142 Junior Member
    If Olin and Mudd are going to be mentioned...don't forget Rose-Hulman! The weather may be not as warm as it is here in CA, but I don't think it's terrible either (maybe other than the winters). They really focus on undergrad education esp with engineering and do offer a lot of individualized attention unlike many engineering schools that are set up to let 50-60% of students crash and burn.

Stats-wise (SAT/GPA) ...I had basically the same stats as your son. (SAT1950/ACT31/GPA 3.71) as well as some of my own spectacular ECs and got rejected from Mudd.

CalPoly SLO seems to be also a great option but he ought to visit to see if he fits.
    Seriously, do you guys even read the original post? WEST of the Mississippi and South. Neither Olin nor Rose-Hulman fit that description.
  • Mesquite_girl24Mesquite_girl24 Registered User Posts: 977 Member
    Might I throw the University of Alabama into the mix? (i dont know if thats what was meant by U of A). I know it's not west of that big ol' river, but it is in the South, we have AFROTC, and we do more of the "learn by doing" program. Lots of $$ in scholarships as well. But you aren't going to get out of the basic reqs unless you AP or DE. thats a fact of life you have to deal with.
  • aibarraibarr Registered User Posts: 4,249 Senior Member
    Mudd Mudd Mudd. Three quarters of the students there are ADD or ADHD or LD of some type. It's a little SoCal kingdom of burnination for the brilliant-but-odd. My brother loved it.
  • mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    Rice, Emory, William & Mary, Duke, and Vanderbilt may be possibilities. Wichita State?
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    I second Vandy
  • lucky2010lucky2010 Registered User Posts: 1,465 Senior Member
    Reading christian and engineering and I thought of Baylor Uni but it might just be known in TX and not a really largely known school.
  • mregomrego Registered User Posts: 1,038 Senior Member
    Maybe University of Miami in Florida or University of Virginia (Charlotesville).
    mrego, NONE of those are west of the Mississippi. Most suggestions here seem to be ignoring that request.
  • lucky2010lucky2010 Registered User Posts: 1,465 Senior Member
    he's just asking for a warmer climate in general, doesn't need to be west of the Mississippi.
    To quote the OP:
    genevas wrote:
    A warmer climate would preferred, as would W. of the mississippi,
This discussion has been closed.