Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Choosing a school for BME

dzhou92dzhou92 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
edited April 2010 in Engineering Majors
I've been trying to decide between Case Western Reserve and Rensselaer as schools for BME undergrad. It seems that CWR has a better BME program, but RPI is more versatile if I wanted to change majors seeing as they have multiple programs in top 25.

Then again, after reading horror stories on here, it seems that a BS in BME isn't the way to go? Far as I'm concerned, I'd probably take a PHD in a related field before searching for work.

Advice anyone? Thanks in advance

On a related note, the curriculum for BME at Rensselaer requires two semesters of Calculus but it seems at Case Western's curriculum is more specified for BME. Rensselaer doesn't really offer much specified in BME as far as classes go. Does this matter any?
Post edited by dzhou92 on

Replies to: Choosing a school for BME

• aGGieENGiNeeRaGGieENGiNeeR Registered User Posts: 961 Member
    It isn't necessarily a horror story. It is just recommended to get your master's before you start looking for a job. You are looking at a field that is hot right now, meaning a lot of other people just like you are thinking about doing the same exact thing. Thus, it is going to be competitive so you need to find ways to set yourself apart from other students. What most people here are saying is you can easily go from MechE, EE, ChemE to BME masters which leaves many options open for you in comparison to a straight up b.s. BME to m.s. BME. These facts are just the norm right now, and things are not likely going to change in the near future. BME is a mix of a bunch of different engineering disciplines together, therefore you are in an essence a jack of all trades, but a master of none.
  • dzhou92dzhou92 Registered User Posts: 29 New Member
    So in that case, would it be better for me to pursue a more physics based BME or does that not matter?
  • JapherJapher Registered User Posts: 1,349 Senior Member
    The problem with the BME is that no one understands the curriculum, so I guess it won't matter if it is more physics based or not.
  • sumzupsumzup Registered User Posts: 799 Member
    I think with BME you have to be careful and look at the specific curriculum you're interested in. For example, if you want to do drug delivery or tissue engineering, BME will probably end up working better than any of the more traditional engineering majors. On the other hand, with stuff like prosthetics, surgical tools, and device development, it may be better to do ME or EE (not that BME would be horrible, just that it probably wouldn't give you any advantages).

Caveat: a lot of this is also dependent on your school/program strength. BME at one place can be totally different from BME somewhere else.
This discussion has been closed.