Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

Community College for First 1-2 Years of EE Undergrad?

nikolateslanikolatesla Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
edited April 2010 in Engineering Majors
The financial aid offered to me by the colleges I was accepted to is insufficient to say the least so I'm considering attending a community college. Would going to a CC hinder my acedemic progress or my future employment prospects?
Post edited by nikolatesla on

Replies to: Community College for First 1-2 Years of EE Undergrad?

• hadsedhadsed Registered User Posts: 738 Member
    It only matters where you graduate from. Also, transferring from community colleges is the easiest way to get in to top colleges, and some great colleges have great transfer programs (i.e. GaTech). I'd transfer after only a year though, if I could.
  • nikolateslanikolatesla Registered User Posts: 9 New Member
    Would going to a Community College for 1-2 year(s) make it harder for me to get into grad school?
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Registered User Posts: 2,892 Senior Member
    Great idea.

The University of Maryland accepts many transfer students from the local community colleges. The local community colleges and U-Maryland are in sync to the point that just about ALL the credits transfer into the engineering programs.

Having said that, as far as EE, I would get some feedback on the Sophomore Circuits courses so you KNOW you would be prepared for a good 4-year EE program. The 2nd-year circuits courses are the only major EE courses given before the junior year.
  • ME 76ME 76 Registered User Posts: 321 Member
    Like hadsed stated, it really matters where you graduate from. I agree that it would be best to transfer after a year. Waiting any longer might not be the best idea. Be aware that the competition in classes will be much higher once you transfer to an engineering school. I shouldn't generalize but chances are that math, physics or other prerequisites will be more rigorous at a traditional university so depending on the community college, you might be at a slight disatvantage compared to people who had more rigorous classes as freshmen.
  • cyclone10cyclone10 Registered User Posts: 400 Member
    I wouldn't go to CC for more than a year before transfering. I've only seen negative outcomes of people transferring into the engineering program as juniors from a community college, they had 3.7+ CC gpa's as a side note.
  • CSmajor5CSmajor5 Registered User Posts: 131 Junior Member
    @Hadsed

Lots of student who transfer from CC to Gatech ended up graduating with low gpa since CC couldn't prepared them for upper classes. Regular entrance students at Gatech called them cusion since they lower the average distribution for hard class and give regular entrance student more advantage to achieve better grade. For example, Electrical/Computer engineer students have to take a class called DSP (digital signal processing). It's notoriously known for hard curriculum and weedout class. Lots of students who can't pass the class either change major or end up retaking it twice or third time. I got test back drom that class with 86 but by Gaussian distribution curve (Bell curve) it's considered A since the avg for test was 64.

I am not saying all CC students who transfer are dumb. But students who got in with regular entrance will develop strong time management skill and great study buddies from freshmen experience dorm. I am sure there are some exceptional students who transfer from CC but most of them are students who did not assert himself/herself while in high school...... and will not likely to achieve good grade after transfer.
  • GLOBALTRAVELERGLOBALTRAVELER Registered User Posts: 2,892 Senior Member
    "Would going to a Community College for 1-2 year(s) make it harder for me to get into grad school?"

Short answer.....No.

Getting into graduate school has so many factors....and that is not including the current status of the prospective grad student.

Some folks may think that doing a CC for two years may hurt you in getting top grades and not getting top grades won't get you into grad school.

Then again....that really applies for grad students who want full-funded M.S. programs. The professional M.S. programs will admit you based on work experience, GRE's (if needed), and if your employer can cut a check for your grad school.
  • ScorpioserpentScorpioserpent Registered User Posts: 208 Junior Member
    If you don't have the money, going to CC can help. I went to CC and graduated with a 3.8, which helped me get the top transfer scholarship at every school I applied to. It sucks that not everything transfers. I know things will be much harder at Drexel, which I'm going to next year, but I will just have to work even harder.
    I'm doing EE as well.
  • Experiment8Experiment8 Registered User Posts: 262 Junior Member
    Going to a cc actually helped my gpa. I took all my lower division courses there where it was easier for me to get good grades in my weed-out classes and ended up at ~3.8. After transferring to a 4 year university I still get straight A's in my upper-div work so I'm probably graduating with a near a 4.0 gpa here. That would not be the case if I had taken all of my coursework here.

Most of the people that go to a CC because they couldn't hack it at a 4-year school out of hs aren't the ones that major in engineering; a lot of those that do just had financial/family situations that didn't allow it.
  • bigtreesbigtrees User Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,191 Senior Member
    Go for it!

If you study hard and are focused, you should do fine in a university. It won't hurt your job prospects at all.

Be aware that the level of difficulty is lower in a cc than a 4 year university. That's not a bad thing, especially since Calc I - III plus Diffeq are very hard courses for most people. CC math should prepare you for your last 2 years at a university.
This discussion has been closed.