Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

• Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.

lit vs lang?

mateo114mateo114 Registered User Posts: 21 New Member
edited May 2012 in English
I'm sure this seems like a very stupid question, but what is the difference between ap lit and ap lang? I'm taking ap lit this year, are these classes similar enough that I can take the language test too?
Post edited by mateo114 on

Replies to: lit vs lang?

• premed4premed4 Registered User Posts: 944 Member
    No, they are no really similar at all, but never the less your in luck because you don't need to take a class or self study very much for AP Lang. Basically if you want to take the test all you need to do is study Rhetoric and do a few practice tests for a few hours in the week before the test, the class is actually completely unnecessary do to the fact that you can't teach the things on the test, you're either good at English or your not.
  • dchau503dchau503 Registered User Posts: 311 Member
    AP lit. focuses mainly on prose, fiction, and poetry. AP language is almost all non-fiction. The two classes recycle many of the same terms.
  • cgstatechampscgstatechamps Registered User Posts: 65 Junior Member
    I think that if you are a strong natural writer, and have good reading comprehension you should be able to be well on lang without the class.
  • peachasopeachaso Registered User Posts: 335 Member
    The tests are very similar, except that the material is slightly different. As others have pointed out, literature includes poetry, while language encompasses more non-fiction prose.

If you are able to do well in one test, you will probably be able to do well in the other without much studying.
  • haaayannahaaayanna Registered User Posts: 165 Junior Member
    Does anyone know how strong the correlation between AP Lit and AP Lang scores are? I received a 5 on the lang but took a practice lit test and got a 3.. I was hoping for at least a four, maybe I work better under pressure, not too sure. Does anyone know? I know that not all of the 'statistics' will apply to me, I'm just curious.
This discussion has been closed.