Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.


tochautochau Registered User Posts: 222 Junior Member
If I tutor, is that considered self-employment on the CSS profile?
Post edited by tochau on

Replies to: Self-Employed?

  • calmomcalmom Registered User Posts: 18,659 Senior Member
    If you make enough money to file tax returns on your tutoring income -- then you should file the appropriate form with IRS (Schedule C or C-EZ) and list yourself as having income from self-employment.

    If you don't meet that threshold, then I don't think you should mention it. If you say you are self-employed, they are going to want to see a schedule C. (I believe the threshold is earning $400 or more ... you might want to double check. I'm self employed, but I earn 5 figures so its been a long time since I ever had the option of not filing a return).
This discussion has been closed.