Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

How many for Household Size?

abindley01abindley01 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
I have a sister who is the same age as I am, and whom I am including in the household size. But I also have two younger sibling that live with their father, and who is their primary caregiver. So do I include them in the household size for my mother's information on the FAFSA?
Post edited by abindley01 on

Replies to: How many for Household Size?

  • sybbie719sybbie719 Super Moderator Posts: 21,101 Super Moderator
    If you live with your mother you do not count your siblings who live with their father
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    Well, they might be part of your mom's household if she provides more than 50% of their support...unusual, but not unheard of! Question 72 of FAFSA is explained in the detailed instructions as follows (pay particular attention to the third bullet point and the last paragraph):
    72. Number in parents’ household. Enter the number of family members in your parents‘ household.
    The following persons are included in your parents‘ household size:
     You (the student), even if you do not live with your parents.

     Your parents (the ones whose information is reported on the FAFSA).

     Your parents’ other children, if your parents will provide more than half of their support from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012 or if the other children could answer ―No‖ to every question in Questions 45-57.

     Your parents’ unborn child, if that child will be born before July 1, 2012 and your parents will provide more than half of the child‘s support through the end of the 2011-2012 award year (June 30, 2012). (If there is a medical determination of a multiple birth, then all expected children can be included.)

     Other people (including your children and/or your unborn child due before July 1, 2012), if they live with and receive more than half of their support from your parents at the time of application and will continue to receive that support from July 1, 2011 through June 30, 2012.

    To determine whether to include children in the household size, the ―support‖ test is used (rather than a residency requirement) because there may be situations in which a parent supports a child who does not live with the parent, especially in cases where the parent is divorced or separated. In such cases, the parent who provides more than half of the child‘s support may claim the child in his or her household size. It does not matter which parent claims the child as a dependent for tax purposes. If your parent receives benefits (such as Social Security or Temporary Assistance for Needy Families [TANF] payments) in the child‘s name, these benefits must be counted as parental support to the child.
    Support includes money, gifts, loans, housing, food, clothes, car payments or expenses, medical and dental care and payment of school costs.

  • abindley01abindley01 Registered User Posts: 154 Junior Member
    Thank you, this cleared things up.
This discussion has been closed.