Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Legal Guardian

Woodsy93Woodsy93 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
So my grandmother has been my legal guardian since about 2003, so I put that I am in legal guardianship on the FAFSA. It then asked if I wanted to answer questions about my parents so I said yes and it was asking about my mother and father and their financial info. The thing is if I say no I dont want to answer, it only asks about my financial info. Im only a dependent of my grandmother and Ill still be 17 when I start college. What do I do??

P.S. I am originally from California and that is where she became my legal guardian, but I now live in Alabama. Will that change anything?
Post edited by Woodsy93 on

Replies to: Legal Guardian

  • thumper1thumper1 Registered User Posts: 63,930 Senior Member
    If your grandmother is your legal guardian, I believe you will be considered independent for financial aid purposes. You do NOT put info about your parents on the FAFSA...and you do not put your grandma on there either if she is your guardian.

    Your state of residency is where you live with your grandma.

    Someone else here will verify my answer, but I believe I'm correct. That being the case...answer NO to the question about providing info about your parents.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,558 Super Moderator
    Do not provide any parent info ... you are automatically independent by virtue of being in legal guardianship. If you only have 0's for financial info, that is fine. Just answer honestly, and you'll be fine.

    Many schools ask for proof of guardianship. You will be asked to provide a copy of the court document giving your grandmother legal guardianship. It would be a really good idea to get your paperwork together, just in case you need to submit it.
  • Woodsy93Woodsy93 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    I actually do have a job and when I looked at my last paycheck from 2010, its said I made somewhere around 4000-4500 for the year (i cant remember exactly). Ive never filed taxes and Im not sure if i should/have, so I put Im not going to. I havent submitted the FAFSA yet, but yes my grandmother has copies of the legal guardianship papers, just in case.
  • kelsmomkelsmom Super Moderator Posts: 14,558 Super Moderator
    You would need to enter your income from work as whatever your gross income is from the last paycheck of the year. You do not put any numbers in for AGI or taxes paid, since these are only for those who file a tax return. You would then say that you will not file a return.

    You may want to consider filing a tax return, though, because you might get some money back. It's worth downloading a 1040EZ from Internal Revenue Service and filling it out ... you might find that it is worth it!
  • Woodsy93Woodsy93 Registered User Posts: 48 Junior Member
    My mom got my w2 today, and I think I would get only like less than 100 dollars or something like that haha. Its better than nothing I guess, but idk if Ill file.
  • sk8rmomsk8rmom Registered User Posts: 5,746 Senior Member
    It's not difficult to file a 1040EZ at all...it's really almost self-explanatory and you can file online for free. If I were 17 and had worked 10-12 hours to make that $100, I'd probably take another 15 minutes to get it back...you may wish you had it next year when you see how much you're spending on books!
This discussion has been closed.