Welcome to College Confidential!

The leading college-bound community on the web

Sign Up For Free

Join for FREE, and start talking with other members, weighing in on community discussions, and more.

Also, by registering and logging in you'll see fewer ads and pesky welcome messages (like this one!)

As a CC member, you can:

  • Reply to threads, and start your own.
  • Post reviews of your campus visits.
  • Find hundreds of pages of informative articles.
  • Search from over 3 million scholarships.
Please take a moment to read our updated TOS, Privacy Policy, and Forum Rules.

Financial Aid for students with disabled parents?

TyMikal17TyMikal17 Registered User Posts: 1 New Member
Hey, well I've got a year left of high school and I'm thinking it's probly time I start getting an idea of what college I'd like to go to. The problem for me, like thousands of others, is money. I'd LIKE to go to a college outside of Louisiana. My parent's make it sound like that is basically impossible due to costs of college out of state. I don't really know that much about it all, but I think if you want to go to college in California, Vermont, Colorado, or Illinois then that's where you should go. What type of financial aid programs do they have out there to apply for? If I could get out of LA that would be awsome, it would be great to get out of all the humidity! Also, my father has M.S. or Multiple Sclurosis, is there any type of financial aid for students with disabled parents? There is one big program here, TOPS, which pays for your tuition, if you take certain classes and have a certain GPA amongst other things, but it only pays for you if you attend college in Louisiana. So I was wondering what my other options are for financial aid other than TOPS, being as that is all they ever beat into us down here is that you MUST do TOPS. Well...suppose you dont want to go to school here. Then what do you do?
Any help is appreciated...thank you!
Post edited by TyMikal17 on

Replies to: Financial Aid for students with disabled parents?

  • sblake7sblake7 Registered User Posts: 1,691 Senior Member
    Try the FAFSA calculator to get an idea of what your family's EFC (Expected Family Contribution) to your education will be each year. Then you'll fill out FAFSA just once to apply for aid to most publics, and the Profile just once for most privates. Apply to the schools you're interested in, making sure you apply to at least one you're sure to get accepted to.

    Then start looking at scholarship opportunities.
This discussion has been closed.